TASCAM US16X8 and delay in recordings

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

matchu

TASCAM US16X8 and delay in recordings

Post by matchu »

Help. I can't track anything with this issue. my recordings are delayed when they are tracked. I know what latency is and this isnt it. I hear everything fine in the headphones, but after recording, the tracks are off.

here is an example.

I turn on the metronome. Arm a track with a mic.
I place my headphones near the mic to record the metronome as it plays during recording. When I play back the recording, the recorded metronome click is delayed.

on playback, i keep the metronome on, and hear the live metronome along with my recorded metronome. The two are not matched or even close. when I zoom in to see the wave, I see that the recorded click was recorded after the metronome, the effect sounds like a slap delay.

I cant track anything. everything sounds off like i have no timing.

Mixcraft 9. Windows 10. tascam us16x8 with uptodate drivers.
Drdish007

Re: TASCAM US16X8 and delay in recordings

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
You should be able to hear the metronome while recording your instruments . I use this when I start recording a price. I can hear the metronome in my headphones along with the instrument I am recording. I can also have the metronome active when playing back what was recorded.
Hope this was helpful.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using ASIO mode in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences? Are you using Mixcraft 9.0 build 469?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
matchu

Post by matchu »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:51 pm Hi,

Are you using ASIO mode in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences? Are you using Mixcraft 9.0 build 469?

Greg
I am using ASIO mode and Mixcraft 9, but I dont know anything about build. Please enlighten me. And thank you.
matchu

Post by matchu »

hearing the metronome is not the issue. the issue is that the track plays back my recording at a delay.
If I record the click by placing the mic near my headpones, everything sounds fine but when I play back the recording of the click along with my live click, the two don't match. it sounds like a slap delay effect. So, when I track guitar to the metronome and a drum look, my playback of the guitar sounds delayed.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Recording the metronome from the headphones into a mic is causing your delay.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Still dont understand why one would do that. But it would multiply the latency each trip, so yeah-I would expect a noticeable delay doing that.
For example if it was 10ms each way, you would get ten out, ten in, and ten back in for thirty, etc.
I suspect the buffers/latency might also be set to less than optimal.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
matchu

Post by matchu »

OMG.

nobody is understanding my issue.
the recording of the metronome through the mic and headphones is just something I do to prove my point. Lets forget that for now.

In reality, if I record myself hitting a drum or hitting the mic along with the metronome from Mixcraft, Once I go to the DAW and listen to the results, I hear a noticeable delay. It is as if I have horrible timing and cannot hit a drum to the beat. When I zoom in on the wave files, the beats recorded on the mic visibly display after the beat. the wave peak is after the beat. so when you listen along with the metronome, my recorded drum hit sounds as if i hit the drum slightly too late. the result is i cannot record anything live to the click track.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

I am using ASIO mode and Mixcraft 9, but I dont know anything about build. Please enlighten me. And thank you.

What are your sample rate and buffer settings in Preferences on your ASIO device?
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

matchu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:19 pm OMG.

nobody is understanding my issue.
the recording of the metronome through the mic and headphones is just something I do to prove my point. Lets forget that for now.

In reality, if I record myself hitting a drum or hitting the mic along with the metronome from Mixcraft, Once I go to the DAW and listen to the results, I hear a noticeable delay. It is as if I have horrible timing and cannot hit a drum to the beat. When I zoom in on the wave files, the beats recorded on the mic visibly display after the beat. the wave peak is after the beat. so when you listen along with the metronome, my recorded drum hit sounds as if i hit the drum slightly too late. the result is i cannot record anything live to the click track.
Hello my friend, I understand your issue since I had exactly the same problem back when I owned a Tascam US16x8. The bad news is, nobody ever came up with a solution so I had to sell it. This issue has never happened to me with any other interface I have used (like 4 so far).
I tried everything they told you. Nothing works.
JoshALL

Post by JoshALL »

It is INCREDIBLY frustrating.
I have posted in these forums myself about the exact same issue and nobody gets it.

The Tascam US16X8 has the perfect amount of inputs that I need. But NOTHING I have done works with Mixcraft. My laptop is an MSI with some beefy specs. So that wasn't the issue.

I also did a trial for Pro Tools and the Tascam worked fine.
For some reason, Mixcraft and this unit just do not work together and whenever I tried explaining this issue,
I just got the same response.

It's like you are playing guitar to the metronome perfectly in your headphones and then on playback, the recorded track is completely off from the metronome where it is unusable.
Or I'll lay down the guitar and it is fine... then do vocals over top and they are COMPLETELY off.

I use to just run a Zoom R16 unit that had 8 inputs and everything worked perfectly. But I wanted to do some live off the floor stuff and the 10 inputs the Tascam has was perfect. But it has never worked.

None of my buddies who also do music use Mixcraft, so they don't really know how to help. They just tell me to give up on Mixcraft and to go with something else. But I really do love the ease of the DAW.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I Imagine you already looked at the Tascam forums. Latency issues aren't exclusive to Mixcraft.

Check out this thread

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/us ... ency.6001/