Mod wheel problem.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

joss

Mod wheel problem.

Post by joss »

Hi.
Well, I was going crazy and suddenly I realized that with the mod wheel of the Kontakt player and any instrument loaded, it returns to its lowest position every time I press the record button on the track.
And I think it also happens when I render, although I am not quite sure about this yet because I have done too much testing and I am a bit confused.
It is not the fault of my keyboard because with Reaper it does not happen.
Does this happen to anyone?
Does anyone know why it happens to me?
Sorry for the translation, it may create some confusion.
I also apologize if it took me a while to respond, there is a time difference in the country where I live and it could coincide at night.
joss

Re: Mod wheel problem.

Post by joss »

Good.
I found the solution in the forum, although I am not sure that ruling out that the mod wheel is reset after playback in the Midi preferences section, do not create any other problems.

I apologize for not having searched the forum well before.
I also apologize if it took me a while to respond, there is a time difference in the country where I live and it could coincide at night.
joss

Post by joss »

Sorry to say it stopped working.
Yes, I don't understand it either, there is something I don't know but it shouldn't be so difficult.
I'm also sorry to mention Reaper so much but it helps me to verify that the failures are not my software / hardware.
In Reaper it doesn't happen. :(
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Under the Mixcraft Preferences > MIDI > there's a Reset Mod Wheel (CC1) When Playback Ends option. I wonder if that is affecting your situation
joss

Post by joss »

Hello cactus-head
As I have already commented, I deactivated that function and it seemed to have solved but it did not.

Thank you for helping. :)
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I thought you were talking about Kontakt settings when you said you found a possible solution.

Question, is the intention to start recording with the mod wheel set at a certain level? Or are you more concerned with the playback after you've recorded? Because you could set a mod wheel level at the beginning after the fact in the editor window.

When you finish recording, Mixcraft sends these two MIDI messages on each channel:
B0 (the 0 = channel 1) 7B = All Notes Off
B0 79 = All Controllers Reset

To me, this means that the Mod wheel and every other controller, is set to zero when you are done recording. So if you start recording again without setting the Mod wheel to some value, it will start at zero. You have to be sure that once you are recording, the Mod wheel is at the setting you want.
joss

Post by joss »

Hello again cactus-head.
First I apologize for the delay in answering your kind reply.
The intention is that the modulation wheel does not move from the value where I leave it both when I am playing and when I am recording, that is, always, until I decide otherwise, this, in my beginner's understanding, I think is the most sensible thing to do.
Also, I usually record with different instruments, that is, for example, with Mixcraft strings and with Symphobia strings in Kontakt at the same time, what I think is called layering or something like that, and if you play the mod wheel, the instruments Mixcraft have a "distortion", an effect like "tremolo" or something like that, very unpleasant, this was already the subject of discussion in a first post on my part.
If you record with several instances of Kontakt, I don't think it's normal that every time you finish a recording you have to put the different levels back on the modulation wheels of each instance of Kontakt.
If I have not misunderstood your explanation, the way Mixcraft works I do not think it is the most suitable and it should be possible to change it.
If I have misunderstood, I apologize.
Thank you very much for helping. :D
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I see. So no matter what you do, whenever you start recording the Mod wheel setting isn't where you want it. Thank you.

Maybe a moderator has a solution.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You're testing with the same plugins in Reaper? Because it's possible for MIDI controller keyboards to have loose Mod Wheels that jiggle and change.

Does the problem happen in Mixcraft if the MIDI controller keyboard isn't attached to the computer?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101