Save Every X minutes

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

touchstone

Save Every X minutes

Post by touchstone »

It's common for software to have a feature that can create a save file every X minutes, would this be something that could be implemented in mixcraft?)

(I realize that this could be problematic with a DAW but if the DAW isn't recording or playing back then a save could probably be created with minimal interference)
jwarv

Re: Save Every X minutes

Post by jwarv »

This has been discussed here. Especially one poster who claimed they lost hours of work. Of course the question was put forward as to why they didn't think to save.

Some feel the asterisk is adequate. But it would be nice to be able to tick a box as an option. I like your idea of only saving when the transporter is not moving.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Reaper has a nice idea...
Just saying...
Reaper.png
Reaper.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

trevlyns wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:05 pm Reaper has a nice idea...
Just saying...

Reaper.png
There you go. Fundamental.

I will admit there have been times (very few) when I was glad I didn't save it yet. But that is rare and it would be my fault if I clicked that option.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I would still avoid any automatic save personally.
If I make a few changes I like, I save. If not undo. I control it. Forget to save? My fault.
How could the program ever accurately decide that? I would expect only frustration from it.

I am not sure how some of those options function IE the Reaper graphic. But if there were an option functionally equivalent to "save as" and it created a renamed backup project periodically without messing with the working project- that might help people who cant seem to save as they make progress, that could work.

I'd likely still leave the option toggled off.
I save as I work and create renamed versions regularly as my own back-ups, often in stages of progress.
This way I often have versions of various edits of a composition, a gain staged starting point to a mix, often a couple "rough mixes" and multiple versions as I progress with mixing ideas.
At any point, if something goes wrong or I decide I dont care for a direction I have taken, I can simply open the desired previous version. The most difficult thing about it is creating a consistent naming convention.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

There is however the factor of unforeseen glitches, power outages, and the like that aren't necessarily the fault of the user. But isn't it really a part of general computer usage? We should always save our work, no matter what. There is something to be said for being the one to do that as opposed to getting conditioned by an invisible butler who does all the work for us in the background. :roll:
touchstone

Post by touchstone »

trevlyns wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:05 pm Reaper has a nice idea...
Just saying...

Reaper.png
That is very nice, I like it.

For those who don't want it, they can leave it off.
heks

Post by heks »

I'd like the addition of auto save or auto backup option. I have auto save/backup switched on in my other DAW's ( off the top of my head Samplitude, Reaper, Studio one, Mulab even an ancient version Orion) and have not noticed any problems and if its an user selectable option no one has to use it if they dont want too.
On the whole, I do try to "save" in Mixcraft but I get so engrossed in what I'm doing, I forget :oops: .
As a relatively new user I was surprised to find that there wasn't an auto save option, I didn't even consider if it would be in Mixcraft or not, being quite a mature DAW.