Linux version or Windows 10 tips?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andrewstunes

Linux version or Windows 10 tips?

Post by andrewstunes »

Hi,

I've been using Mixcraft since version 5, and really appreciate the ease of use, value, and included effects/synths/loops.

Unfortunately, Windows 10's behavior is making me want to switch DAWs. My main issue seems to be with the way Windows does processing in the background when it thinks the computer is idle. For example, I'll start recording a track, and if I don't touch the keyboard or mouse for a couple minutes, Windows starts running updates/maintenance tasks/etc., making the CPU usage spike and causing audio dropouts. I've got a pretty decent setup with a Ryzen 7 8-core CPU and 16GB of ram, which should be plenty.

I've seen the document on running Mixcraft on Wine, but haven't had much luck getting it to run with smooth audio and prevent random crashes. Is there any chance we might see a native Linux build in the future?

If not, has anyone run into similar issues with Windows 10, and found a way to deal with them? I have tried disabling some of the maintenance tasks in the Task Scheduler, which helps some until the next Windows update, when they're all added back.

Thanks much,
Acoustica Greg

Re: Linux version or Windows 10 tips?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you've read the Wine document, I don't know what else to suggest. We had one guy who was using it, but we're not testing or developing for Linux.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
andrewstunes

Post by andrewstunes »

All right -- thanks for the reply.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Would disconnecting from the internet help manage Windows 10 constant updating and background tasks?
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

You can schedule updates to happen at a certain day/time so that shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure I get "maintenance tasks." I've never had this issue with Win 10, and God knows I'm no Win 10 fan.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

These may be worth a shot, but I'm dubious as to a final solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2UtaPvGevs
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I kinda already know the answer but: is there any chance a fully dedicated Linux version of Mixcraft will be launched?

I think with any Windows DAWS ported to linux one of the major problems are with the VST(i)s and the compatibility there.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

cactus-head wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:54 am I kinda already know the answer but: is there any chance a fully dedicated Linux version of Mixcraft will be launched?

I think with any Windows DAWS ported to linux one of the major problems are with the VST(i)s and the compatibility there.
We don't currently have any plans to make a Linux version of Mixcraft.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I have been using Windows 10 for over 3 years without issues. My computer is not connected to the internet. I had only connected it when needed to download plugins. Now I load plugins from a thumb drive, downloaded from another computer.
I turned off as many functions I could. I followed the advice forum topics on this. I have had no issues with background operations, as they are turned off.
Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1