Blackstar Live Logic 6

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

wfrance3

Blackstar Live Logic 6

Post by wfrance3 »

Hello -

Midi Noob Here....

I have a new Blackstar Live Logic 6 USB Midi Controller and would like to use it to record in Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio 64. This is on a Windows 10 PC. I have all the software and firmware up to date.
https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges ... controller

I am using this in another software; Transcribe!, which is a music transcription software.
https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
It was very easy to setup and get working, so I know the hardware is probably ok.

I am not having that same luck in my Mixcraft 9. If someone could point me in the right direction to get the record button assigned to one of the foot switches, I could use that as a model for other buttons. Please and Thank You!

EDIT -

I found this as a temporary work-around:

Mid hot keys 1.3

It converts keystrokes into MIDI, which seems like it should work as a work-around. It would be cooler if there was an actual solution...
Ableton Live seems to be able to work with my Blackstar USB MIDI controller directly, so I am optimistic, hopefully someone will come thru with info for me.
cactus-head

Re: Blackstar Live Logic 6

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

In Mixcraft, try right clicking on the MIDI Learn icon next to the gear above all of your tracks. This will open a control surface mapping window. Map all of the appropriate MIDI CC codes to the various options. Give a name to your "custom surface" and save it. Once saved, you can recall it for any project.
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

Thank you for your response, I'm still not quite able to thread the needle. I have a couple screenshots. Maybe someone could suggest how to fill in the blanks correctly? I have what I think should be correct, but it doesn't work. Yes, I am that dumb...
Attachments
New Picture1.jpg
New Picture1.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
New Picture.png
New Picture.png (293.75 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

From your screen shots, everything looks correct except using CC 0. That's used for bank changes. It would probably work but it might get interfered with when you actually have bank changes to make. I'll go through detail of my understanding so you can follow along. It might be review, but hopefully it's clear.

If I understand your interface after glancing through the documentation (though I could only open the quick start), your second screenshot is the setup program for your interface. You use that program to set up the switches and so forth with either patch changes (changing instruments on a physical or virtual synthesizer that accepts program change commands) or other types of MIDI control. In your case you want to step on a switch and activate record. CC stands for control code.

Please note all of the current settings of your interface. If there is a way to save your settings, do that before proceeding because I'm going to suggest changing a setting.

For our example, you want to be in custom mode (the switch on the back of your interface) and use the setup program to assign CC 20 (that's not generally a used MIDI code) to switch 1. Once you have setup up your interface, I'm going to assume you don't need the setup software running until you want to make changes to your interface again.

Make sure your interface is plugged into the USB port. In Mixcraft preferences, check the MIDI settings to make sure you have an input selected from your blackstar. Once you have added the Blakcstar as an input you're ready to tell Mixcraft what to do with switch 1

LEFT click the MIDI learn button. LEFT click the record button on the transport. Now step on Switch 1 once. The record button should change to something like 1/20 meaning the message was received on channel 1 for CC 20. LEFT Click on the MIDI learn button again - that will turn off MIDI learn mode. If you now arm a track, you can step on switch one to start recording.
Now, if you RIGHT click on the MIDI learn button, you will see all of the mapping and you should see how the Record button is mapped to the MIDI message. You can save this mapping to load later.
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

Thank you for your kind response! I think I may know what the snag is...

check the MIDI settings to make sure you have an input selected from your blackstar. Once you have added the Blakcstar as an input you're ready to tell Mixcraft what to do with switch

Under control surfaces, there is no entry for Blackstar. It is recognized as "Live Logic Midi Controller".
I tried both Logic Control and Logic Control XT from the list of choices, which did not work in either case. If this helps, in both cases, I was able to select "Live Logic Midi Controller" as the input and the output.

I suspect that without this step properly in place, this part: The record button should change to something like 1/20
Can't really work.

I tried to just manually put the values you suggest in the record command, but it still wouldn't do anything. It seems like we may need to somehow get my Blackstar USB MIDI Pedal on the Transport Command List?
Attachments
New Picture.png
New Picture.png (90.78 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

We're mapping this via MIDI directly so we don't actually have to worry about the control surface in this case. You want to look under the various MIDI inputs for your USB connection. I don't know what it would be called - likely Logic etc etc. In my example, I have listed many different hardware, software and virtual MIDI ports. Usually if you plug in a piece of hardware, it will show in this list. The ones I specifically want MIDI input to go to Mixcraft, I have checked the box. If the box is checked, Mixcraft is ready to receive MIDI input from that device.

The specific Control Surface screen is different. Right now, we just want to add your MIDI device to Mixcraft's input list.

Also I mentioned closing the Setup software. There's a chance that if it's opened, it's hogging the MIDI port for itself and Mixcraft can't see it.

MIDI input.JPG
MIDI input.JPG (62.42 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

I'm starting to think this just may not work....

This info from a few posts back made great sense, but I have inserted some commentary in red:

LEFT click the MIDI learn button. LEFT click the record button on the transport. Now step on Switch 1 once. The record button should change to something like 1/20 meaning the message was received on channel 1 for CC 20.
It does not change, I can make it do this by manually inserting CC info for record under control surface details.
IN the Darkstar Utility, I have button 1 set to CC MIDI Channel 1, CC Message Number 20, Toggle, Off Value 0, ON Value 127. I Sent the values to the controller. I exited the Darkstar utility, and then continued...

LEFT Click on the MIDI learn button again - that will turn off MIDI learn mode. If you now arm a track, you can step on switch one to start recording.
Now, if you RIGHT click on the MIDI learn button, you will see all of the mapping and you should see how the Record button is mapped to the MIDI message. You can save this mapping to load later.
It should say something like 1/20 after this process, but it doesn't I can make it say that by inserting values manually but the button doesn't respond when I do.

Just to make sure I'm doing it right, I have:
Type CC
Value 20
Ch# 1

I didn't put anything for the last section which has choices of - DN and UP. - I actually did experiment with trying each of them and it still didn't work...

I did, as an experiment, download my free copy of Ableton LIve 10 and I could make the controller work but, I reeeaaallly like the Mixcraft work flow much better. I downloaded and installed the Ableton just to 2x check I didn't have a hardware issue. It appears I do not...
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Can you show a screenshot of all of the MIDI inputs in Mixcraft under the preferences? Also your screenshots are super blurry. Can you try something like snip-it?
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

Here you go, sorry about the blurry screen shots. I looked into a better way of doing them. Was just using the old ctrl + print screen...
Midi Prefs.png
Midi Prefs.png (49.76 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Blackstar Control Page.png
Blackstar Control Page.png (809.26 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Here is the MIDI Software that came with the controller's setting.
Mixcraft.png
Mixcraft.png (37.38 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
This is my settings in Mixcraft 9. I mentioned in my previous post that I didn't know what to do with the last setting; - DN UP. I tried all 3 with no results...
Screenshot 2021-02-16 213044.png
Screenshot 2021-02-16 213044.png (16.81 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
I was able to get the little 1/20 thing to show up, but not by pressing a the MIDI controller footswitch button, only by manually entering the info. When I press the foot switch button, it just stays blank. Still NOT working...

Thanks to everyone who has been responding, I really do appreciate the help!

Best,
WF
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

I really do appreciate everyone's help on this, but I'm still not able to get my Blackstar Live Logic 6 to talk to Mixcraft. For those who may be in the same boat, or for those thinking of purchasing the Live Logic 6, I would say that there is probably a better solution out there. I even tried 3 different software solutions that translate MIDI switch presses to keyboard button presses thinking I could trick Mixcraft into thinking my MIDI switches were actually keyboard buttons. No dice. Remember, I'm very Noob to MIDI, but FWIW, here is what I think after a few days of reading and tinkering:

The Blackstar Live Logic 6 will not work with Acoustica Mixcraft 9.
There are two operation modes on the BLL6; "Patch" and "Custom". There are 6 buttons on the BLL6. Patch mode allows for groups of 4 buttons that live in banks. The remaining two buttons, are to bank up and bank down these groups of 4.
In Custom, you get 6 buttons that are individually addressable. No banks, just the 6 buttons. AM9 works in neither mode as far as I can tell.

In the other software I was able to make work very well is "Transcribe!". Transcribe! is the software I use for learning music, and, well, transcribing it...
https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
Transcribe! works with the BLL6 in Patch mode, so I could see a person setting up a few banks of buttons for the different things they might do with the software. Transcribe!'s support of the BLL6 is very robust. I'm not a timeline expert here but I think the BLL6 came out after Transcribe! did. It's very cool that the author of Transcribe! supports MIDI pedals in general to the level they seem to be supported with this software.

The other software I had luck with was Ableton Live 10. A license came with the BLL6 so I installed it... To what I can figure out, Ableton supports the BLL6 in custom mode only. Ableton will "learn" button presses in patch mode, but each button press registers as the same button regardless of which button on the BLL6 you press. This is somewhat confirmed with two Youtube videos that I reviewed. One was a short video where someone warns potential purchasers of the BLL6 that it only works in custom mode. The other was a tutorial put together by a music store in Kuala Lumpur. There was no specific reference to patch mode vs custom mode, but after reviewing the first video, I was careful to look where that switch on the BLL6 was set. The BLL6 pedal was set for custom. It was further confirmed that the BLL6 was in custom mode later in the video because they created settings for switch 5 and switch 6 on the BLL6. That's something you can't do in patch mode.

I really do like the Mixcraft work flow, but have learned a few things about Ableton in my experimenting. and will probably use it for a while, If nothing else to create recordings, I may record in Ableton, and then put the stems in Mixcraft for final work, but sheesh what a pain! It's likely that I will watch for developments in the DAW community and shift to whatever DAW I discover that is

Under $200
Support BLL6 in Patch Mode

I hope Mixcraft is actually able to support my pedal somehow I haven't found yet. I have been liking Ableton so far, but it's like borrowing your buddy's car because yours isn't running right now... Ableton is coming out it a week or so with Version 11 which is a free upgrade, so will see what that brings. Will also see what other software makers offer. I did go thru a few software makers products years back when I landed on Mixcraft. After a bunch of looking, I liked everything Mixcraft did and how they did it so, there is that...
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Can we try one other thing? I want you to test the MIDI transmission and see what MIDI codes are being sent by Blackstar. For this I would recommend you download two pieces of free software: MIDI-OX and loopMIDI

http://www.midiox.com/

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

MIDIOX, though a bit old, is one of the best all around MIDI tools i've seen. With it, we''ll be able to tell exactly what MIDI strings are being sent when any pedal is stepped on.

With loopMIDI, we can set up a series of virtual MIDI ports. The use of this is you can have various routing for different MIDI devices and software both in and out. Paired with MIDI-OX we could, for example, intercept any signal that's being sent by the Blackstar, and rewrite it to be something completely different and transfer it on our own specific MIDI port directly to Mixcraft on any channel.

But for the moment, I just want to see if you can see what happens MIDI-wise when you step on a pedal. So once you download and install MIDIOX, launch it. Click on Options > MIDI Devices...

Under the MIDI Inputs heading, make sure your Live Logic MIDI Controller shows up. Click it so it becomes highlighted and appears in the Port MAP Objects box. Click OK

MIDIOX Live Logic Input.JPG
MIDIOX Live Logic Input.JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

From the main menu select View. Make sure to select Port Status and Input Monitor

MIDI-OX view.JPG
MIDI-OX view.JPG (34.15 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

I've set up an input port labeled Live Logic MIDI Controller as an example to hopefully match what you see. Your MIDI-OX screen should have the port Activity and the Monitor - Input windows open. If you were able to add you Live Logic MIDI Controller as an input device in MIDI-OX, you should be able to step on a pedal and get a readout in the display similar to what I have shown below. I made it a point to send CC 20 with a value of 127 (meaning the controller is full on which shouldn't make a difference). You can see this MIDI string appears at the top of the list. Can you try sthis and post back if any values appear in MIDI -OX? This will at least tell us if your device is transmitting MIDI and not a custom language that's programmed into Albeton and not Mixcraft. Also Note, the input port number I specifically set up is 17. You can see in the Monitor Window, that the input specifically came from port 17 under the "IN" field. This is useful so you now exactly where the MIDI data is coming from. Your number will likely be 1 or 2 seeing as it doesn't seem you have a bunch of MIDI devices plugged in or ports mapped.
MIDI-OX Monitor Live Logic Input.JPG
MIDI-OX Monitor Live Logic Input.JPG (204.55 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

Thanks for sticking with me on this! Here are my screen shots:

I ran the Blackstar setup software first, sent what you see in this screen shot to the pedal, then closed it to prevent a potential conflict.
Screenshot 2021-02-21 171225.png
Screenshot 2021-02-21 171225.png (807.32 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
I took the second screenshot after running the MIDI OX software you recommended
Screenshot 2021-02-21 171131.png
Screenshot 2021-02-21 171131.png (229.68 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
The pedal is verified to be in "custom" mode. I sure hope these tell you something. I really don't like the Ableton setup. Also, just in case this helps you, in Ableton, the pedal has to be re-setup for a new session. It seems to default to "toggle" (momentary) mode. I would have to re-teach Ableton for the pedal to work in latching mode, which you would want for a global record switch... I have to open the Blackstar setup program, initiate switch 1 so the lighted controller is illuminated, send to the pedal, then close Blackstar program. Then I open Ableton, re-teach the transport global record button. Then it will work as a latching for that session. Even if I save, close, and then re-open the same session, button 1 will return to momentary "toggle" mode... Not that we are troubleshooting Ableton, I just imagine you have a pretty good understanding of MIDI and that info might b e helpful to the task at hand, which is, of course getting Blackstar MIDI working in Mixcraft.

Appreciate you working with me on this!
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Actually that is extremely helpful. Basically it says it's transmitting control change 20 with a value of 127 on all channels. However, it ends with a System Exclusive message that i can't figure out because I don't have the MIDI spec for the Blackstar Live Logic.

For the sake of info this is what one of those blue lines mean:

The far left timestamp are the amount of time ticks that pass with each command. IN 1 means it's receiving input from input device 1 which is your pedal. STAUS Bx: the B means Control Change and the number next to it is a zero based MIDI channel. 0=1 1=2 2=3 etc. So since there is no B0 in your screenshot on the input side, I think the top line is cut off. B1, therefore means Control Change on channel 2

DATA1 is the CC code. 14 in hexidecimal = 20 (that's our code). DATA2 is the value our cc is set at. 7f = 127 . The other fields are self explanatory. So, CC 20 is being sent on all channels with a value of 127. Now for some reason, that's not getting to Mixcraft. It's awfully weird, when you click the MIDI learn button in Mixcraft, step on the pedal, it should record that pedal step. Then turn MIDI learn off by left clicking on it. Pressing the pedal again should now activate record mode; you would have to arm a track before activating record.

We may have to take one more step if this still isn't working. It could also be that SYSEX message at the end that's causing problems.

This is where loopMIDI will come into play for our test. Go ahead and download and install loopMIDI. I want you to add a port to loopMIDI that we will use specifically to send pedal signals to. Name it "From Blackstar to Mixcraft" so there's no question what it's for. Type in the name in the highlighted area then click on the plus sign to add it.

loopMIDI add port.JPG
loopMIDI add port.JPG (66.66 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
Close and relaunch MIDI-OX. Under Options > MIDI Devices, make sure your Live Logic MIDI Controller is the only device hilighted under MIDI Inputs. For MIDI Outputs, the only thing that should be hilighted is From Blackstar to Mixcraft.

If you step on your pedal, there should be MIDI data on the input side from Live Logic... and on the Output side From Blackstar to Mixcraft. Did you get this far?
wfrance3

Post by wfrance3 »

I did it. Here is my screen shot showing the result of pressing button 1.
Screenshot 2021-02-22 202505.png
Screenshot 2021-02-22 202505.png (377.76 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
I think once we solve this I'll be able to re-trace the breadcrumbs and "get it", but honestly right now I don't have a clue. I appreciate you working with me!
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I see you must've turned off OMNI and set the pedal to only channel 1. That's fine. It makes the screen a little cleaner and gives us only one thing to deal with. The code now reads B0 which is CC change on channel 1, 14 = 20 , and the state is 0 or Off. It's all fine we only care about the 20 and channel 1.

Your ouput port is not correct. It should only be From Blackstar to Mixcraft. Your port activity window is listing 02) Live Logic MIDI Controller. I want the ouput port to only be From Blackstar to Mixcraft. This way we know that the input and the ouput are feeding back into each other.

it could be because you didn't click OK on the MIDI devices Window when you took the screenshot. Anyway, here's the last bit once you get that sorted. What I had you do and am having you do are a couple of things:

1. We wanted to be sure that when you step on the pedal, a CC 20 is generated on your PC. We saw in MIDI-OX that happened.
2. We want to make sure that Mixcraft gets the signal from the pedal. Everything you posted says it should be happening but for some weird reason it's not making it to Mixcraft.
3. We want to make an exclusive MIDI port from the Live Logic controller just for Mixcraft so we can funnel the pedal directly there.

Because I'm suspicious of it, I want MIDI-OX to intercept the Sysex message. That's the long F0 00 00 74 01 4D etc. at the bottom of the display.
In MIDI-OX click on Options > Pass SysEx . Make sure there is no Check mark next to it. We want this off. You can test it by stepping on your pedal again. The F0 00 00 74 etc. shouldn't appear in the input or output window. If it does, somethings wrong.

Leave MIDI OX running. Open Mixcraft. In File > Preferences > MIDI make sure the only Input Device is From Blackstar to Mixcraft. If you set up the inputs and outputs correctly in MIDI-OX, we are specifically routing your pedal's input to "From Blackstar to Mixcraft." Therefore, if we make that an input device here in Mixcraft, it should work without problems and we're also eliminating the possibility of feedback by having different ports for input and output. Uncheck any other input devices. Click OK.

Ok. Left Click MIDI Learn, when the different areas on the screen turn blue, Left click on the record button - it should turn darker blue, Step and release pedal 1, a number should've appeared on the record button. Now left click the MIDI learn button again and mixcraft should return to normal.

Step and release your pedal and record mode should activate.