Midi controller sound is pretty low through mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

banjoclan

Midi controller sound is pretty low through mixcraft

Post by banjoclan »

Hi,

When I play the piano in my midi through mixcraft the sound is pretty low. However, in other piano learning apps the sound of it is very good so I think I must have something set wrong in mixcraft. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks
banjoclan

Re: Midi controller sound is pretty low through mixcraft

Post by banjoclan »

Can anyone help me out on this? It’s been driving me crazy.
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

In order to help you we need more details of what is going on, what controller are you using? do you have it connected via USB or via MIDI port? What preset or sound are you triggering in Mixcraft? What Audio driver are you using? If you use the Windows driver, what volume do you have in Windows settings? There are many variables, give details to help you.
banjoclan

Post by banjoclan »

Hi, thanks. Sorry for leaving that stuff out, I'm new with this midi stuff.

So I have an Alesis 49 that I have connected with a USB B to A cable (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. It looks like a phone style jack connected to the midi and the other end goes into the computer with a normal usb end. It doesn't matter what sound I'm triggering in mixcraft. I've tried lots of them and they all sound low. As far as which driver, I've attached the list from my device manager. I've checked them all and all the drivers are up to date. I've changed the volume to max in windows settings. It sounds fine when I play the midi through my piano marvel app but it is really poor when playing through mixcraft.
Attachments
sound card.PNG
sound card.PNG (5.81 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Go to settings>MIDI make sure your device is there and see if the 'Limit Velocity Editing ...' isn't selected. When you select an instrument like Pianissimo what are the velocity settings for it in the drop down? If you hear something that means MC is picking it up.

M
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

It's weird, but I see too many drivers in the image you sent that fight for power there, I recommend you to associate Mixcraft with an ASIO driver that you can install free like ASIO4All and it works perfect with MC9.

When you play the piano sound you say, is it a VST or what piano do you trigger through MC9? Make sure the output signal on the volume bars inside Mixcraft are strong or as shown in the picture, let me know if you solved it.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'd suggest looking for velocity cc issues before proceeding to anything else.

I'm not able to post images at this moment, but I would check vel settings in the instrument selection window, as well as in the sound tab window below the piano roll.
If they are low you will need to fix that.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
banjoclan

Post by banjoclan »

Guaresneider wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:22 pm It's weird, but I see too many drivers in the image you sent that fight for power there, I recommend you to associate Mixcraft with an ASIO driver that you can install free like ASIO4All and it works perfect with MC9.

When you play the piano sound you say, is it a VST or what piano do you trigger through MC9? Make sure the output signal on the volume bars inside Mixcraft are strong or as shown in the picture, let me know if you solved it.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I installed ASIO4All and I find no difference in the sound.

When I play the piano, I usually use the acoustic piano midi in mixcraft. However,that doesn't really matter, I can put it on any midi and it's still not great. I can get the output to get into the yellow range but I have to really bang hard on the keys to do this.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As mentioned, what kind of velocity settings do the notes have?

lowvelocitymx9.png
lowvelocitymx9.png (74.09 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

The piano roll has a default velocity setting.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101