Deleting "dead space" at end of track?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Deleting "dead space" at end of track?

Post by mixyguy2 »

When I record a track, when it gets to the end, it keep playing dead silence WELL past the end of the track. I don't want this. Is there a way to delete it or toggle it off? As I recall you could not in v8 but not sure about v9. Don't see a way offhand.
Mark Bliss

Re: Deleting "dead space" at end of track?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Fade out your track or project as needed with volume automation.

Simple casual answer, the sound engine detects levels far below the threshold of hearing. Any thing from noise in your recording to a reverb tail can cause the track to run on until it dissipates and detects and "end" to the track or mix.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Ditto. Mark helped me with this one too.
HamBobPuma

Post by HamBobPuma »

I'm new to Mixcraft - forgive the newbie questions... I'm slowly reading up on all this stuff via the Manual.

I'm interested in this topic too; is there no way to output/mixdown a defined section/area of your timeline (like you do in other DAW's).? Regardless of fade in/outs..? What is the purpose of the 'Use Selection' checkbox when choosing to mix-down stems..? How is its use governed..?

Thanks,
puma
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

If you right click the track it gives the options to fade in/out too.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HamBobPuma wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:46 am I'm new to Mixcraft - forgive the newbie questions... I'm slowly reading up on all this stuff via the Manual.

I'm interested in this topic too; is there no way to output/mixdown a defined section/area of your timeline (like you do in other DAW's).? Regardless of fade in/outs..? What is the purpose of the 'Use Selection' checkbox when choosing to mix-down stems..? How is its use governed..?

Thanks,
puma
Hi,

Yes, just drag a selection in the timeline over the area you want, then choose "Use Selection" when you go to mix down. Only the highlighted area will mix down.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Dude705

Post by Dude705 »

Also fading out the volume at the end of Master bus track also works.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Just chiming in.... I don't know if it's the mixdown that's the real issue here, I would voice my pet peeve as Mixcraft doesn't stop when it reaches the end of the clips in a project, it keeps counting forward in beats/measures/time even though there is just dead space. It does seem to be triggered by lingering audio trails but it doesn't matter if you fade it out, set the volume to zero with automation at the end of the clip, Mixcraft will keep counting.

My suggestion would be to have a toggle where you can tell mixcraft to stop as soon as it reaches the end of the last clip in the project. Or have an End marker mixcraft will stop at as soon as it reaches it - but doesn't have to be engaged in a loop. The End Marker could be placed anywhere and it can be removed. Or instead of a dedicated End marker, have a "Play to Marker" option so you could add any marker and choose this option to make Mixcraft stop once it reaches it.
HamBobPuma

Post by HamBobPuma »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:29 pm
HamBobPuma wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:46 am I'm new to Mixcraft - forgive the newbie questions... I'm slowly reading up on all this stuff via the Manual.

Thanks,
puma
Hi,

Yes, just drag a selection in the timeline over the area you want, then choose "Use Selection" when you go to mix down. Only the highlighted area will mix down.

Greg
Yes, thanks - I did get it myself after more manual reading.! It has to be said however, that setting each side (left/right) of your selection range is a complete PITA - no independent control over each edge.. :-(
Last edited by HamBobPuma on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
wall-e

Post by wall-e »

It would be niceeee feature if mixcraft can render by times selection (start at xx:xx to yy:yy seconds).
Can we suggest this feature to dev ?

btw,
I find quite hard to drag a selection from custom specific time (let say 59.250) to 0 s.
Because i've to zoomin to detail, and drag mousepad to 0 point.
I dont have enough mousepad for that. :D
How do you guys do it ?
Thank you
HamBobPuma

Post by HamBobPuma »

wall-e wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:20 am It would be niceeee feature if mixcraft can render by times selection (start at xx:xx to yy:yy seconds).

btw,
I find quite hard to drag a selection from custom specific time (let say 59.250) to 0 s.
Because i've to zoomin to detail, and drag mousepad to 0 point.
I dont have enough mousepad for that. :D
How do you guys do it ?
Thank you
Unnecessarily tricky to achieve... always being forced to adopt snapping to some amount, just to achieve accuracy/consistency.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Additional tip: if the initial selection doesn't please, you can hold down the Shift key to change it. In other words, if I have a selection that is three bars long, but I want one that is four bars - I can hold down the Shift key and click to enlarge the selection without starting over.

In regard to snapping, sometimes a person might want a selection to adhere to snap and sometimes not. It's just like any other operation with snap, sometimes when it's on, you wish it was off and sometimes when it's off, having had it on would have made things so much easier.

There are shortcut keys to change snap (page 377 in the manual).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
wall-e

Post by wall-e »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am Hi,

Additional tip: if the initial selection doesn't please, you can hold down the Shift key to change it. In other words, if I have a selection that is three bars long, but I want one that is four bars - I can hold down the Shift key and click to enlarge the selection without starting over.

In regard to snapping, sometimes a person might want a selection to adhere to snap and sometimes not. It's just like any other operation with snap, sometimes when it's on, you wish it was off and sometimes when it's off, having had it on would have made things so much easier.

There are shortcut keys to change snap (page 377 in the manual).

Greg
Thank you for the tips.

How about this ?
It would be niceeee feature if mixcraft can render by times selection (start at xx:xx to yy:yy seconds).
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

cactus-head wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 am Just chiming in.... I don't know if it's the mixdown that's the real issue here, I would voice my pet peeve as Mixcraft doesn't stop when it reaches the end of the clips in a project, it keeps counting forward in beats/measures/time even though there is just dead space. It does seem to be triggered by lingering audio trails but it doesn't matter if you fade it out, set the volume to zero with automation at the end of the clip, Mixcraft will keep counting.

My suggestion would be to have a toggle where you can tell mixcraft to stop as soon as it reaches the end of the last clip in the project. Or have an End marker mixcraft will stop at as soon as it reaches it - but doesn't have to be engaged in a loop. The End Marker could be placed anywhere and it can be removed. Or instead of a dedicated End marker, have a "Play to Marker" option so you could add any marker and choose this option to make Mixcraft stop once it reaches it.
Exactly, thank you. This isn't about dead space at the end of a final recording; I can easily trim that. It's when I'm still working on a piece and it reaches the end and doesn't automatically stop. That yellow play line should be able to make stop at the end of the last track (and in my case, auto-rewind back to the beginning). It may be a small one-time thing, but when you're working on something over and over, tbh it gets really old. That said, if that's the worst thing I have to worry about, I'm good. :) But it seems this should be easily do-able...