Random CD Data

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jimolson

Random CD Data

Post by Jimolson »

I have been burning CD,s with MC9 for quite a while and have forgotten to ask this question. The resulting CDs usually only have one track on them. When I plug them out into my car player, my display on the dash always has random artists, titles, and other random names. Where does this data come from and how can I delete or edit this random text and pictures
GovernmentMule

Re: Random CD Data

Post by GovernmentMule »

I believe it is called "metadata". You can export your stereo .wav file or mp3 file and then open it up in a program and edit the data ( track name, artist, album, genre, etc ). I know you can do this with WinAmp. There use to be a lot of programs that burned CD's that would let you do it. I have not kept up with that tech lately so I do not know what is out there. I also use a mp3 player called FooBar that I believe has this capability.
Jimolson

Post by Jimolson »

Thanks Gov. Mule, btw favorite band!
I need to figure this out.
Hard to believe others haven’t had an issue with this before
Maybe I can post pictures.
Appreciate the response
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I haven't messed with CD burning in a while. Anyway, text is a form of Metadata as was mentioned. it's specifically called Cd-text and it's stored in the lead-in section of the CD image. A couple things that are important: whatever drive you are using to burn your CD image has to be able to support CD-text. And the drive that reads the CD must also support it.

From Mixcraft it seems the CD-text is created through the markers and the project title both of which can be changed. I think the way it's meant to work is, you have a single stereo track of all of your songs. In between each song is a period of silence. The default is 1.5 seconds. Based on this premise, delete all of the existing markers on the existing track that has all of the songs in it.

Click on MIX > Markers > Automatic Marker Wizard.

Set your parameters (maybe start with the defaults for our testing) and make sure CD Track Markers is checked. Click OK. Markers should be set at each break of silence that is 1.5 secs.

Click on Mix > Markers > Edit
and change the names to whatever your individual songs should be.

Click on File > Burn CD

Set your parameters, change the CD Title to something thats about 12 characters long. I can't recall exactly how long this can be but for some reason that's what rings in my mind. I could be totally wrong. Don't get CD-text mixed up with MP3 or OGG tags.

Where the Burn Window reads Length:(NN Tracks) the NN should be the number of markers that were created. Each marker is where a new track begins. So if you ended up with 10 markers, this should read Length: (10 Tracks)

Make sure Create CD-Text is checked. Burn: All

That should do it. If you have something like VLC installed, if your CD/DVD burner supports CD-text, you should be able to see if the tracks were written to properly with names etc.

If you are getting various artists and images, especially images, then it could be your car player is connected to wi-fi or a cell signal and is automatically downloading those things based on sampling the content of your CD.
Last edited by cactus-head on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jimolson

Post by Jimolson »

WOW!
Thanks Cactus.
Great explanation.
I'll give those things a try