Need some more info before trying Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creations420

Need some more info before trying Mixcraft

Post by creations420 »

Hey users

I’m currently an Acid Pro/Reason user and I’ve come across Mixcraft and I’m intrigued. I’m tired of Acid constantly crashing and being so unstable so I’m effectively looking for a new DAW. Before I invest time in giving it a go I was wondering if you could help me understand the below points

1) What algorithm of time stretching does Mix Craft use? Most DAW’s let you choose the type of time stretching mode - whether that be elastique or something else. Is this possible in Mix Craft?

2) Is there a draw tool for audio clips? Or do I have to copy and paste the item - for example when I’m laying out a kick drum pattern

3) Can I save BPM data to audio files? So if I assign an audio track a specific BPM it will always be set at that when I import it

4) In general how stable would you say MixCraft is? My projects in Acid Pro normally contain a lot of heavy plugins. I also rewire into Reason - and sometimes I insert FL Studio as a vst. So a lot going on with my projects - is Mixcraft capable of handling these large projects? I have a pretty solid laptop.

May have some more questions but that’s a good starting point!

Thanks
jwarv

Re: Need some more info before trying Mixcraft

Post by jwarv »

Howdy and welcome to the forum.

I can't answer all your points, but I can say, as an Acid user, that there's no audio drawing tool. It took time to get used to the workflow, but I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. I got away from using a lot of loops so it's not as big a need. But even in that case, there's a plus symbol at the end of the loop you can tap to extend it. Or just click and drag it longer.

The best advice I can give is to download the free trial. Take her for a test drive.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

1) time stretching algorithm? Are you an audio programming engineer? At any rate it's proprietary I believe and it's called FlexAudio. Are you really asking how far can you compress or stretch a clip before it sounds weird? I've halved or doubled the time of an entire song and it's workable - but that's subjective

2) no

3) BPM doesn't seem to be saved there. Mixcraft doesn't seem to be designed specifcally to create audio clips and loops. It seems to be more for outputting complete song mixes. It's not a wave editor. But that doesn't mean you can't create your own complex loops/clips with Mixcraft to be used elsewhere.

4) Stable. You have to be careful when using 32 vs 64 bit plugins also be thoughtful of VST3 vs VST2. Some plugins are designed better than others so if you have some in your arsenal already or download others, there's a chance for some problems depending on compatibility (plugin = VST or VSTi). Also if you have many tracks in your project and are using a ton of plugins, you may run into some problems. You generally can't go wrong with the built in plugins, but once you start introducing others, you have to think about compatibility.

And as jwarv said, test it out as a free trial first. It's not the same program as Acid - so if you are looking for Acid with a few more tools, no matter what DAW you use, you will miss something.
creations420

Post by creations420 »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Was playing around with the demo today. Off the bat I notice the mixer channels don’t display the gain output. For example, if I’m clipping - I like to see how much I’m clipping by. Same applies if I’m not clipping - I like to know the exact levels of each channel.

I’m assuming the only way to do this in MC is put a metering plug-in on the channel?
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

creations420 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:35 pm Thanks for the suggestions.

Was playing around with the demo today. Off the bat I notice the mixer channels don’t display the gain output. For example, if I’m clipping - I like to see how much I’m clipping by. Same applies if I’m not clipping - I like to know the exact levels of each channel.

I’m assuming the only way to do this in MC is put a metering plug-in on the channel?
Once you're on the Mixer tab, there's a round sun-like icon. Click that and check the Gain. It will go red when you clip.
mix panel pref.jpg
mix panel pref.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 1045 times