Mixdown to WAV sound quality change?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rev.f

Mixdown to WAV sound quality change?

Post by rev.f »

In the past I've mixed down to mp3s and the resulting sound/tonality is pretty much the same as when I listen to the song in Mixcraft (9).

Recently I mixed down to high-quality wav and there were some appreciable differences between both the mp3 mixdown version and what I hear when playing the song on Mixcraft.

For example, on the original pre-mixdown song, one sound had some slight warbling/tremolo/vibrato to it that was very faint and hardly noticeable. On the wav mixdown, this aspect was really pronounced and louder, and the whole sound was louder in the mixdown.

Today I will dutifully watch all the Mixcraft mixdown videos on Youtube, but in the meantime, does anyone have any thought on this? Have you noticed anything similar?
cactus-head

Re: Mixdown to WAV sound quality change?

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

When you record in Mixcraft, are you recording at, let's say 44100 Hz and then are you trying to mix down to something higher like 192kHz ?

Short answer: If you convert a track with effects on it to a higher sample rate, you may get exacerbated audio artifacts in the new wave. Consistancy and quality wise it's better to have recorded at a higher rate from the start.

I think in Mixcraft when you mix down to an MP3, it starts with your project sample rate then determines the compression algorithm quality based on the bit depth: variable or static, so the result will closely match what you hear on Mixcraft playback. Resampling to a higher wave rate in contrast may emphasize some of the audio artifacts that were generated by the effects.
Last edited by cactus-head on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

This is a sticky now. Could be the issue.

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24566

M
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

thanks everyone
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

This is really becoming an issue. It seems that, sometimes, what I hear in Mixcraft playback is just not what gets mixed down.

Specifically, one project features one track with soft bass sound. When the song gets mixed down, this bass is not so soft, is relatively more aggressive and with some slight distortion.

I tried listening to the mixdown in three different media players with the same result, so the problem is not the media player.
I tried all the recommendations in the sticky post about this.

I haven't noticed this problem before, so maybe it's not a major problem, but on this one project is definitely is.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What does it sound like if you load the mixed-down sound into an empty Mixcraft project and play it?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101