CPU tips or tips on using less computer memory/CPU etc?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rev.f

CPU tips or tips on using less computer memory/CPU etc?

Post by rev.f »

I'm having problems with my CPU maxing out. In fact, it is not possible for my computer to run both Mixcraft 9 and the Voltage Modulator simultaneously. Yes I should get a new computer but in the meantime...Does anyone have any tips on how to cut down on CPU/computer memory usage when working in Mixcraft 9? Here are some of mine:

It's possible to put tracks into a submix and then use effects on that submix for all the tracks, instead of using the effect on each individual track, as a way to cut down on CPU/computer memory use (or at least I think it does).

Also, that it's possible to assign more than one instrument to a track, instead of using separate tracks playing the separate instruments. I think that saves some CPU usage also (not sure).

So, any more ideas? Thanks in advance.
jwarv

Re: CPU tips or tips on using less computer memory/CPU etc?

Post by jwarv »

Here's the main way. https://youtu.be/XMXz81p0g28 Don't mind the age of the piece. The principles are timeless.

But the submix idea is good. Even better is to use fx on send tracks. And I'm sure there's a litany of other ideas on this forum.

Yes, you can stack instruments as well. But they can only play the same notes.
wall-e

Post by wall-e »

CWIIW, you can stack instrument and assign key range per instrument. Check mixcraft official channel on youtube for detail.
Submix & send track also good thing. Also don't forget freeze/ render track
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I had an older i7 with 12gb ram and an ssd, it got clogged up pretty quick if I didn't freeze stuff. I found it to be a bunch of extra steps and severe restrictions for what I wanted to do and how I wanted to record. I'm just a hobbyist so ymmv but it just wasn't as fun having to go through all that, especially when you wanted to tweak a few plugs at the same time.

I got a new laptop in Dec and couldn't be happier, I can have everything I need open and ready without having to worry about pauses, glitches, freezing tracks, crashes etc.

So, to make a long story longer, I looked at a new computer as an investment in my sanity. Not so cheap but so worth it.

M
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Sounds to me like all you needed to do was simply optimize Windows for audio recording. One of the computers I have MC9 running on is a 7th Gen i7 with 12 gigs of RAM, and standard HD (2T). That computer runs MC9, Studio One 5, ZenBeats, Cakewalk, and Ableton with no problems. I even use some larger sample libraries too. You could have saved some money and simply optimized Windows, which is easy and doesn’t cost anything..., it’s also a good rule of thumb when you use a Windows computer for audio recording.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

squeakie wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 am7th Gen i7 with 12 gigs of RAM
7th gen was a huge jump from previous generations, especially from the 4th gen. This wasn't a case of simple W10 optimization.

M
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Guys, I think I may have used this example before (I'm 72 so don't blame me if I have.) :D
My current spec is with my signature and I've just loaded and played my largest project to date without any hiccups.
It has 68 audio tracks, 46 FX instances and lots of automation.
Maybe we should just get older computers? :mrgreen:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Part of this is which plugins you're using - some plugins are real CPU hogs.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
pbognar

Post by pbognar »

This is a video with some techniques. Note, the examples use Sonar, but the concepts apply to all DAWs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROkYYswBTsE

Also, if a plug-in vendor provides both VST2 and VST3 versions, compare both. VST3 allows for VST processing to be suspended when it is not actually in use. And as others have mentioned, freezing tracks, especially those using VSTi instruments will also definitely help.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

In some cases, it's a third-party thang. I have a backup drive and the program is constantly writing to it. Once I shut that down the CPU usage on Mixcraft goes waaaay down. I do run the risk of not having a mirror backup during that time, but the chances of MC crashing or freezing decrease with that program off. (Kind of a chicken & egg thingy?) But, once I'm done with a session, I turn it back on, and all get copied over.