MX9 new minus/plus percent instead of dB

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

neuralmix

MX9 new minus/plus percent instead of dB

Post by neuralmix »

Hey everyone,

I love many new features brought to Mixcraft 9 but am hoping to resolve this one thing that wasn't this way with MX8 :

When I turn down (or up) an automation, whether in pre (on the waveform track) or post (beneath), as I drag, I see say -8% instead of whatever value that is in dB's relative to the current levels. Once I have my points, I now can see which value they're in via hover or edit but is there a way to see -1dB or however dB's instead of percents while I'm dragging?
Mark Bliss

Re: MX9 new minus/plus percent instead of dB

Post by Mark Bliss »

I would agree. It's a quirky behaviour that needs a re-think for the next version.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Dude705

Post by Dude705 »

I agree...annoying.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You're dragging the handle, not the pivot point? Because the pivot points show decibels (when you're set to display decibels).

Mixcraft 8 didn't have the raise/lower section handle option, but I see what you mean.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along!
pivotpointvshandle.png
pivotpointvshandle.png (14.93 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
neuralmix

Post by neuralmix »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:51 pm You're dragging the handle, not the pivot point? Because the pivot points show decibels (when you're set to display decibels).

Mixcraft 8 didn't have the raise/lower section handle option, but I see what you mean.
Most of the time using neither, just doing as I did in MX8: I select a section, do Ctrl + Alt + A which does a tiny duck but allows me to have all pivot points, then I drag while holding shift. Or, when I already have points that I had drawn earlier or in MX8, I raise/lower holding shift. Now I do realize the handle automatically now engages when holding Shift, but whichever way, it'll show in % instead of dB while I'm making adjustments. Oh, and yes, I'm set to dB in preferences.

Currently my workaround is to edit both points and enter the dB's manually, which kind of defeats having a new feature that slows down workflow.

Also, speaking about those handles, but this is another subject and I realize it might actually help more people than annoy certain few like me, is the fact the section handle appears on simple hover. I really see the incentive behind and how actually this is supposed to be a good feature in itself (even if they did display in dB's). The reason it annoys me is sometimes I accidentally drag up/down some clips by accident while working fast. My suggestion would be: make it known they exist, but have a keyboard shortcut to actually engage it, like Shift which was already reserved for that in prior versions.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:51 pm Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along!
Thanks!
sparella

Post by sparella »

Resurrecting this to add my support for showing dBs during handle drag. I set "Display Volume As: Decibels" in preferences, but the display still shows percentages! To use the handle I'm forced to move it a little, listen, move a little more, listen, and repeat, all the while knowing how many dBs I want to change. Typing the exact value twice at the points defeats the purpose of the handle. I do like how the handle appears on hover but I only use it when the change I want is drastic. Finer control requires typing in dB values twice.