Stacked VST Automation

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jwarv

Stacked VST Automation

Post by jwarv »

I want to be able to stack 2 instruments, but have the second voice only come in on the second bar, so that it layers progressively. Is there a way to automate the volume for that?
cactus-head

Re: Stacked VST Automation

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Yes. Click the Automation icon. Click the drop down and choose the instrument you want to contorl. If the instrument has been programmed to have their Gain or Volume controlled it will be available as an option to select for automation. There may also be a bypass switch so you could effectively "turn off" the instrument until you're read to include it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the virtual instrument doesn't offer volume or gain or on/off, you could do that with velocity. In this example, the second instrument only plays if the velocity setting is over 50:

Stacked instruments velocity settings
Stacked instruments velocity settings
stackedinstrumentvelocitysetting.png (12.82 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

If you want to do it with volume, you could do it by duplicating the notes on a separate lane with clip volume automation.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Thanks guys. I'll tool around with it. I ended up duplicating in a separate track and letting the instruments play separately. But if prefer it in one track.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

jwarv wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 am Thanks guys. I'll tool around with it. I ended up duplicating in a separate track and letting the instruments play separately. But if prefer it in one track.
That is the best way of doing it in my opinion. You can see clearly when an instrument is playing/not playing. If you use automation, what you hear coming out of the monitors does not match what you are seeing on the screen.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

You're probably right. I'm too ocd about certain things. Uncluttering a daw should not be one of them. Unless they come out with Mixcraft 10 (OCD Version). Now that would be something.