Monitor on Audio Record has significant delay

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Monitor on Audio Record has significant delay

Post by gmpolin »

I used to be able to monitor myself, using the "Monitor Audio" button, while recording an Audio Track. There used to be very little delay in what I heard.

Now there is a significant delay, making it unusable. I have the same audio interface I have had for years (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6). I can't think what else has changed.

Can you give me any direction as to what might be causing the delay? Thanks for any help with this!

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Re: Monitor on Audio Record has significant delay

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Latency isn't bad until you monitor? Are there effects in the audio path? If so, try bypassing them just to see if they are the culprits.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Thanks. I should have clarified that. The problem occurs on a brand new audio track with no effects in a brand new project.

I just updated to the latest builds today before starting this project and as soon as I tried to record I noticed it.

Glenn
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I noticed this too. Nothing has changed with my setup. However as of maybe a week or so ago, if I use the Monitor Audio button on mixcraft, I get a slight delay/echo effect. It's real weird. This wasn't happening before. I don't know if something has changed in windows or what. I've also noticed I have to keep my buffer size to 256 or 512 all the time to avoid crackling. I used to keep the seting at 128 and 64 when I wasn't doing anything too crazy. Somethings different. I wonder if there was some change in antivirus software or something.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 pm I noticed this too. Nothing has changed with my setup. However as of maybe a week or so ago, if I use the Monitor Audio button on mixcraft, I get a slight delay/echo effect. It's real weird. This wasn't happening before. I don't know if something has changed in windows or what. I've also noticed I have to keep my buffer size to 256 or 512 all the time to avoid crackling. I used to keep the seting at 128 and 64 when I wasn't doing anything too crazy. Somethings different. I wonder if there was some change in antivirus software or something.
Hi,

Mixcraft hasn't changed in that time period. If you're getting an echo, hunt for audio bleeding. For example, it's possible for a guitar pickup to record audio playback from speakers.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

gmpolin wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm Thanks. I should have clarified that. The problem occurs on a brand new audio track with no effects in a brand new project.

I just updated to the latest builds today before starting this project and as soon as I tried to record I noticed it.

Glenn
Hi,

Then we're back to the basic latency questions. You're in ASIO mode? What are your buffer settings? Etc.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Greg, I am using ASIO, the Focusrite USB ASIO. I have "Use Device's Preferred Settings" checked. When I unclick it, I see

Sample Rate: 44200
Buffer Size: 1024
Latency: 23.2
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Sometimes after a Windows update I've noticed a switch back to defaults in sound settings. Make sure they match what your Focusrite says, ie. 24 bit 44.100 and 512 buffer is a good start. Have 'use preferred device settings' unchecked.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, 512 would be good to try for the buffers.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Greg,

I have (at least) two confusions. I thought when the box was unchecked it was showing me the current settings. Therefore the buffer size is currently 1024.

(1) You are suggesting to change it to 512, a smaller buffer. I assumed bigger was better.

(2) So are those the current settings (what shows when I uncheck the "use preferred device settings?" Or not?

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the buffers are too low, you get audio skipping.

If the buffers are too high, you get a big lag between when the audio enters the computer and when you hear it.

Your job is to find the sweet spot in between.

A look at your log file with preferred settings enabled would tell what your preferred settings were, but I'm assuming it was 1024.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Thank you for the education! I set the buffer to 512, and the delay is gone!

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know my suggestion was helpful!

Greg