Why Core Audio allows higher quality than interface specs

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Angelfire

Why Core Audio allows higher quality than interface specs

Post by Angelfire »

This might seem a silly question, but it's been on my mind forever and I never found anything related to it. I've asked on other guitar recording forums, but no help.

If I set Mixcraft to Core Audio (input: interface, output my Samsung home theater through SPDIF), it will allow me to record up to 96k hz 32 bit float, regardless of the interface’s specs. I could use a cheap guitar to usb 44.1 khz, 16 bits, that if I choose Core Audio it will let me choose 96k hz 32 bit float.

Obviously if I choose ASIO it will limit to only the interface's specs.

Although I use a Zoom UAC-2 which supports it, the JS-10 which I use for practice is only 44.1 khz, but again, if I set to Core Audio, it will give me the choice for 96khz.

So my question is, why is this and what is happening? If I record with a JS-10 for example, am I recording at 41khz and Mixcraft is upsampling it somehow?

Thanks in advance
Acoustica Greg

Re: Why Core Audio allows higher quality than interface specs

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's not Mixcraft doing that, it's Windows Core Audio. I don't know the details of what Windows does when you choose a higher sample rate than the hardware allows. I guess it resamples? You don't want to choose a higher sample rate, because you'll just get a larger file with no gain in audio quality.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Angelfire

Post by Angelfire »

Thank you very much.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Mixcraft relies on your interface driver to populate the audio settings in the preferences menu. If your driver is set to 16 bit for instance, that is what gets reported to MC, so you won't see a 24 bit option unless you increase your driver settings.

Nathan