Vocal "Tonal Quality"

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Dick43

Vocal "Tonal Quality"

Post by Dick43 »

Am using Mixcraft Pro Studio 9, strictly as a rank amateur. Four of us who had a folk group in college are trying to record a song for a reunion. We are recording in four separate cities, each using different mics and different DAWs. Exchanging files has been a cinch, and they have been pulled into Mixcraft "dry". However, while each vocal track is fine in terms of pitch, tempo, etc., the "tonal quality" is noticeably different for the four tracks. Any suggestions as to how, via plug ins or otherwise, I can "fiddle" with the tracks so that the tonal quality is more consistent?

Thanks

Dick43
TrevsAudio

Re: Vocal "Tonal Quality"

Post by TrevsAudio »

Two letters - EQ! :D
Solo individual vocal tracks and try and determine what they need - low end or mid range cut or boost,high end 'air' etc. Also, compression my be needed to even out softer or louder passages.
I normally use TB's Parametric EQ. Start with a couple of presets from the dropdown menu and tweak it from there.
I'd also buss all dry vocals to apply a common reverb, delay or other effects to all.
Hope this helps...
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Thanks....I shall continue to crawl up the learning curve! It's fun, but occasionally frustrating as all gt out~

Dick43
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I'm sure you'll do fine :D
Plenty of help on the forums and don't forget our tutorial videos here
https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10807
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
balarila

Post by balarila »

Interesting. I am also in the midst of the same thing. In college, we wrote a musical and would want to revive it so I have vocal recordings coming from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, and the Philippines which I lay down on tracks, equalize , and set some MIDI tracks for accompaniment.

I encountered the same issue as yours (albeit minor) and solved through TB Parametric EQ.

If I may, I'd also like to ask here in your thread if there is a way to reduce reverb on acoustic tracks? Some of the recordings I received had some reverb as some of the performers recorded in a room, probably with stiff walls.

@Dick43 Hope you don't mind if I asked my question here as I felt the answer may also be of use to you.
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

Dick43 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:41 pm Am using Mixcraft Pro Studio 9, strictly as a rank amateur. Four of us who had a folk group in college are trying to record a song for a reunion. We are recording in four separate cities, each using different mics and different DAWs. Exchanging files has been a cinch, and they have been pulled into Mixcraft "dry". However, while each vocal track is fine in terms of pitch, tempo, etc., the "tonal quality" is noticeably different for the four tracks. Any suggestions as to how, via plug ins or otherwise, I can "fiddle" with the tracks so that the tonal quality is more consistent?

Thanks

Dick43
You want the vocals to have similar tonal quality (EQ) sound like they were recorded at the same volume (Compression) and in the same room (Reverb). There are many ways to do this. One of the easiest ways is to use a signal chain.

Create a Bus and name it Vocals Bus. Then send all vocal tracks to it in the mixer. On the Vocal Bus, add an Acoustica Signal Chain as an effect. Select "Vocal - Empty Hall." It provides an EQ, Compressor & Reverb.
empty hall .jpg
empty hall .jpg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Then go into each effect and select presets and settings that work for your folk vocals.
signal chain 2 .jpg
signal chain 2 .jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
If you still have tonal quality issues, you can go back to each vocal track and EQ the vocal so it sounds its best.

Generally it's best to have each effect on a separate Send Track so you can apply the amount you want to use for each track. But this is a quick and dirty way to try to get the sound you want.
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Thanks! I hadn't checked back into the Forum for quite a while...am glad I did and found this! And the fellow who wants to piggyback certainly has my OK to do so...

Dick43
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Next problem...I have learned how to create a Vocal Bus track. I've taken all effects (except Vocal Doubling) off the individual tracks, and put the TB Spacial Balance effect on the Vocal Bus track. I can't seem to hear any difference between when I "solo" or when I "mute" the Vocal Bus track. Am I missing some step (or something?) I DO try to learn from the Mixcraft Video Tutorials and the Manual (which I find less than helpful.)

Thanks

Dick
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Forgot to add that when I am in Mixer, with all vocal tracks sent to my vocal bus, no signal indicator responses show on that vocal bus when I play. The indicators DO move on the individual vocal tracks. Just from listening, via headphones or monitors, I hear very little of the effects I experiment with on the vocal bus track. How slowly CAN one crawl up the learning curve?!!

Dick43
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Dick

It would help if you described what you are doing more clearly.
"Vocal bus" could be a "sub-mix"?

What you are describing tells me you are setting something up incorrectly.
But its hard to say what, given the vague description.

From your previous description on what you are trying to do, I dont think moving all processing to a grouped bus is going to be the ideal solution though. You probably want a mix of both track processing and group processing.

"Tonal quality" is highly subjective of course.
But based on what you have described, I would start with:
1- Editing individual tracks. Clean up any noises, clicks, pops, etc.
Fix any timing alignment issues. De-ess, reduce plosives, etc.
2- Even out levels, phrase by phrase as needed with track gain automation. Gain stage all tracks to the appropriate level going into processing.
3- Corrective EQ on each ind. track. Cutting any nasally, or honky frequencies for example.
4- Probably some modest compression on each track to further smooth things out.
5- At this stage I would probably experiment with some "room" verb/delay on any "drier" tracks to get them to fit better with the tracks that have some natural "room" recorded in. Hopefully making them all sound more like they are coming from the same time and place. This could be tricky and require patience. I would use sends for this so you could use one instance of a plug-in.
6- Maybe now "group" or "bus" the vocals, adding some more modest compression to blend them together gently and maybe some overall subtle EQ to sweeten.
You might add a touch of overall reverb here too. Again, subtle. maybe a "hall" preset to start?

I'd also caution that in your described project, vocal doubling may not be a great choice. Its useful for "thickening" but a very little goes a long way. I usually prefer to only use if occasionally on background stuff, not on front lines. If at all. It easily just muddy's things up.

As it often seems to happen, you may be falling victim to using a difficult project to learn on.
Been there... :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Thank you sir. The lack of clarity/precision in my question reflects my placement on the learning curve -- pretty darned low. But your response is very help in terms of how to process the tracks that I have and pull them together in the end. I appreciate you taking the time to offer these tips.

Dick43