Surf Guitar?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rev.f

Surf Guitar?

Post by rev.f »

Has anyone emulated a surf guitar sound on Mixcraft? I've tried various combinations of guitars and effects and can't quite make it. Tips?
I'm talking Dick Dale.
Thanks in advance.
Frantiac

Re: Surf Guitar?

Post by Frantiac »

The starting point has to be your guitar. DD used frighteningly heavy strings: .016 --> .060, admittedly tuned down a whole tone. Then I'd look for an Fender-style amp sim (I'd give the good old SimulAnalog Rednef Twin a go - it's free after all). Then find a spring reverb plugin to insert before the amp. I haven't used one for a while but I remember liking the GSi Spring Reverb Type4 a lot way back when. BTW they are both 32-bit mono plugins which kind of goes with the territory, and if the strings gauges aren't feasible maybe you could insert a formant-manipulating plugin (GVST GForm - also free) before the other plugins to give the impression of beefier strings.
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio
Rolling Estonian

Re: Surf Guitar?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Amplitube has a Fender package, there's a reason the Twin is their bestseller, it's got some surf presets.

M