pressing record turns volume down

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Anders Hauge

pressing record turns volume down

Post by Anders Hauge »

Hi everyone,
I have an issue that is so incredibly annoying. every time I push record, the volume/expression turns down automatically which forces me to adjust the mod wheel just before playing. Why is this happening and how to fix it?

Best regards,
Anders
Acoustica Greg

Re: pressing record turns volume down

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which virtual instrument?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

Hi,
All the instruments i have open in Kontakt.
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

I tried in a different daw and there was no problem so it seems to be a Mixcraft setting somewhere perhaps? For example when using cinematic woodwinds in kontakt the modwheel goes to zero after every stop and record. i have to push record and then adjust the modwheel and play otherwise the modwheel start at zero.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

So the MOD wheel controls expression?

Greg,

I just monitored the outgoing signals from Mixcraft - when Mixcraft stops, it sends a CC 121 on all channels. That is a soft reset of all the controllers on all channel. It sends this regardless of whether the setting in preferences to reset mod wheel is checked or not. This may be the thing that is causing both Garritan and this woodwind library to reset the MOD wheel.

I can only detect this when I specifically add an output channel to a track and monitor that ouput. Could Mixcraft be sending this to all MIDI ports that are connected?
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

it seems so. And it applies to every instrument i add in kontakt, not only ciematic woodwinds.
Any way to fix it?
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

Yes, the mod wheel expression. i can see the mod wheel icon move to zero when i rewind or start recording.
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

Hi

I have been having a similar problem with Komplete Kontrol Miroslav and Spitfire libraries. If I move between tracks or move to the piano roll, the Mod Wheel setting resets to 0, and I need to physically touch the mod wheel to reset where it was on the track. The workaround I have found today is to
- Open Mixcraft preferences
- MIDI
- de-select all the MIDI options
- OK

Edit - Looks like "Release Hold/Sustain Pedal when clip ends" "Release Hold/Sustain Pedal when playback ends" and " Reset Mod Wheel" need to be deselected, just deselecting the "Reset Mod Wheel" didn't work.

Note I am using a Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2 keyboard.
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

Hey! That fixed it! Thank you so much!
Northfield.Lenox

Yes, but why? Glad to help....
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

oh man!

Just to note, this does this on Messiah as well, as I imagine any VSTis that respond to the MOD wheel.

I tested it with the suggestions above and that seems to fix. I narrowed it down to only unchecking : Release Hold/Sustain When Playback Ends. It will not reset the MOD wheel with this unchecked regardless of whether Reset Mod Wheel when PlayBack Ends is checked or unchecked.

Good catch Northfield.Lenox
Northfield.Lenox

Thanks for narrowing it down.. I got tired of trying different combinations. In any case it's going to be easier going forward...
balarila

Post by balarila »

Thanks so much for this workaround!

I have also been having this problem with Garritan VSTs and was told by Acoustica to raise it with Garritan who told me vice versa.

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 93#p139893

Hope your discovery will lead the Mixcraft developers to a real solution.
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

yeah, I hope this will be fixed with next update. And ALSO to add the following function; when having multiple windows open of kontakt and reverbs and other effects, to be able to close\hide all windows just by clicking outside the windows. Now we have to click away every single one and it`s so freaking annoying. That would help A LOT!
It should not be hard to add that simple function so please Acoustica, I hope you read this.

Anders