Any way to record the output of a Send track?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ferez21

Any way to record the output of a Send track?

Post by ferez21 »

Hi,

So I want to record the wet output of a reverb that I placed on one of the Send tracks in my projects into a Wav file. How do I go about that?

Thank you
cactus-head

Re: Any way to record the output of a Send track?

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Haven't tried this but it seems it would work in theory:

Create an output bus track. Have the Send track output routed to the output bus track. Choose a playback source on the bus track. If your audio interface allows a loopback, then create a separate audio track that records from that loopback playback source. It should be a different playback source than the master bus. Arm and record on that track.

[Edit] just tried it and it works.
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

cactus-head wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:16 am Hello,

Haven't tried this but it seems it would work in theory:

Create an output bus track. Have the Send track output routed to the output bus track. Choose a playback source on the bus track. If your audio interface allows a loopback, then create a separate audio track that records from that loopback playback source. It should be a different playback source than the master bus. Arm and record on that track.

[Edit] just tried it and it works.
Great workaround. It should be so much easier than this though. I hope this gets an update in Mixcraft 10.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

I ended up using this:
image_2021-06-04_202442.png
image_2021-06-04_202442.png (61.58 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
It simplifies the whole process, I just place it as an effect, press record on the plugin, press play on Mixcraft and it's done.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

You could solo the send track and mix it down to an audio file.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Doh!

I took the OPs request as recording the Send Track output onto another track. But Greg's solution is super easy to save an audio file out of the box! I hate when the obvious stuff is staring me in the face and I don't see it! :D
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:15 pm You could solo the send track and mix it down to an audio file.
Yeah, I figured it out after I figured out the recorder thing :D

But, if I mute the source track that sends its signal to the Send track, there will be no sound coming out from the Send, so you also need to change the send mode to pre-fader, and rather then mute the source track, should set its volume to zero. Without these I've noticed that the Send track will not output any sound.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

No need to mute it if you solo the Send track?
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:52 pm No need to mute it if you solo the Send track?
I was sure that "Solo" essentially mutes all the other tracks, but it seems like you are right after checking it again now. I could have sworn it was not like that a few hours ago when i tried to record the reverb.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

It's possible to solo more than one track at a time, so make sure you're just soloing the send track in this scenario.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Tip: if you hold down the Ctrl key when you click on a Solo button, it will automatically turn off all other solo buttons.

Works for Mute as well.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:13 pm Tip: if you hold down the Ctrl key when you click on a Solo button, it will automatically turn off all other solo buttons.

Works for Mute as well.
Thanks! very handy :)
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:13 pm Tip: if you hold down the Ctrl key when you click on a Solo button, it will automatically turn off all other solo buttons.

Works for Mute as well.
good to know....thanks
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:52 pm No need to mute it if you solo the Send track?
Hi Greg, I didn't want to start another thread to ask my question, as this one here is asking the same question I have.

HOW DO YOU RECORD THE OUTPUT OF A SEND TRACK?

I read what you wrote about soloing, but I still don't see where I could "record" the SEND track reverb output. Do you mean Record as in "Solo the tracks using the SEND, then play through the song and record the reverb on a separate track?"

Sorry, I don't see it.

Here is what I have so far. Two piano tracks using the same effect SEND. I'd like to have ONLY the reverb on a track. I was told it would make the mix cleaner this way. Already it sounds cleaner, but now I'm unsure where to go next to record ONLY the reverb and have it on a separate track.
659d421e7c68ed9d4e8abac893f69571.png
659d421e7c68ed9d4e8abac893f69571.png (218.98 KiB) Viewed 2279 times

What am I missing? I feel I'm close, maybe even stepping over it, but what?

Thanks!

Andre
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

hi,

When you solo the send track, use the File > Mix Down to > choose your file type, file name etc. By soloing only the Send track, it will create a file with only this information - not the other tracks playing along with it.

Now load or drag that saved file into Mixcraft on another track. Take the Send track off of soloso the other tracks are activated. You can mute the original send track to hear only the effects on your newly added track.