How to record a digital track while playing the VST?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rev.f

How to record a digital track while playing the VST?

Post by rev.f »

The situation: I have ME80 synth on a track. I open the ME80 and can play it with the cursor on the keys of the virtual ME80. But I can't get that playing to record. I arm the track and push record, and it goes along, but nothing records.

It does record notes when I use the "musical typing" but that's not what I need. Playing it the other way gets some sounds that I would like to get on the digital track.

I know I can record the sounds on an audio track, and that's okay, but if the other way is possible, it would be much better.

Anybody? Thanks in advance.
ferez21

Re: How to record a digital track while playing the VST?

Post by ferez21 »

I'm not 100% sure i understand what are you trying to do, but if your issue is not being able to record MIDI notes using your MIDI keyboard, here are a few things to check:

1. Are you sure your MIDI controller/keyboard is not the source of the issue? For example, does it work well in other programs, but not in Mixcraft?
2. Is your MIDI keyboard enabled in Mixcraft's preferences?
3. Click the little arrow next to the Arm button, and make sure your MIDI keyboard is selected as input before you start recording. Also make sure to select the appropriate MIDI channel, or choose "all channels" if not sure which one your keyboard is configured to.

If what you're just trying to record is an audio clip out of a software synthesizer, you simply need to record a midi clip first first, and then export that midi clip into audio.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I think the OP is talking about pressing the ME80s graphic keyboard keys with the mouse cursor and clicks.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:38 pm I think the OP is talking about pressing the ME80s graphic keyboard keys with the mouse cursor and clicks.
Well then, clicking the gui doesn't generate any midi information.
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

Thank you, that's good info.
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

Thank you for the info
ferez21 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:03 am
cactus-head wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:38 pm I think the OP is talking about pressing the ME80s graphic keyboard keys with the mouse cursor and clicks.
Well then, clicking the gui doesn't generate any midi information.