(Blade Runner) Any Voltage Mod experts out there? Preset sharing?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rev.f

(Blade Runner) Any Voltage Mod experts out there? Preset sharing?

Post by rev.f »

I'm looking to somewhat duplicate the various Blade Runner type patches on the ME80 (etc) while using the Voltage Modulator. I know I could spend time and figure something out, but it would be nice to have the preset already and make my own changes to suit my needs. So the questions:

Is there already a preset under some name for this sound? I tried many of them and haven't found it.

Do you have a preset setting (the modules and their order and settings) that you want to share?

Thanks in advance.
cactus-head

Re: (Blade Runner) Any Voltage Mod experts out there? Preset sharing?

Post by cactus-head »

Interesting. When you say patches are you taking about all of the patches in like the end titles section? Or do you just mean patches here and there that sound like synth strings and such?

After reading this post I decided to poke around a bit with voltage modular. It's tough if you aren't familiar with modular patching - and I'm not too familiar! And maybe I'm missing something but is voltage modular monophonic? I don't seem to be able to play chords and also I don't seem to be able to limit the keyboard's range for specific patches. I suppose you'd have to have multiple instances of voltage running with different patches and use the instrument setup in mixcraft to layer them and limit the key range.

If I come up with anything I'll let you know. It's kind of a fun challenge.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

cactus-head wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 pm Interesting. When you say patches are you taking about all of the patches in like the end titles section? Or do you just mean patches here and there that sound like synth strings and such?

After reading this post I decided to poke around a bit with voltage modular. It's tough if you aren't familiar with modular patching - and I'm not too familiar! And maybe I'm missing something but is voltage modular monophonic? I don't seem to be able to play chords and also I don't seem to be able to limit the keyboard's range for specific patches. I suppose you'd have to have multiple instances of voltage running with different patches and use the instrument setup in mixcraft to layer them and limit the key range.

Seems like the Oscillator module that comes with Ignite is not Polyphonic, and basically you need modules that are specifically dubbed as polyphonic to have multiple voices, but, you can still (sort of) do polyphony with monophonic oscillators if you use multiple oscillators and a separate amplifier for each (and a poly CV converter):

image_2021-06-15_155701.png
image_2021-06-15_155701.png (483.47 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

And this is the Polyphonic oscillator that is not included in Ignite:

placeholder.png
placeholder.png (59.16 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

Thanks Cactus Head and Ferez.

Cactus, when I say patches, I mean like the arrangements you get when you choose a preset on the Voltage Modular. The modules and how they are connected or patched together. I am actually very familiar with modular patching, I used to own an old-school synth that was quite similar to the VM (though the patching was easier).

Ferez, yes you're right, polyphony is achieved in the VM and other modular synthesizers by using multiple oscillators.

OK let me know if anybody finds that Blade Runner sound on the VM.
ferez21 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:47 am
cactus-head wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 pm Interesting. When you say patches are you taking about all of the patches in like the end titles section? Or do you just mean patches here and there that sound like synth strings and such?

Seems like the Oscillator module that comes with Ignite is not Polyphonic, and basically you need modules that are specifically dubbed as polyphonic to have multiple voices, but, you can still (sort of) do polyphony with monophonic oscillators if you use multiple oscillators and a separate amplifier for each (and a poly CV converter):

image_2021-06-15_155701.png

And this is the Polyphonic oscillator that is not included in Ignite:

placeholder.png
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I meant which blade runner sounds (patches) are you looking for? And I'm assuming you are talking about the 1982 soundtrack.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yeah, there's the "bladerun aftertouch" preset. That one in particular? Or a different one?
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Here's a preset from Cameron to play around with:
Knife Walker with FX.voltagepreset
Voltage Modular preset
(14.9 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
And here's a video that might help: How To Make Blade Runner Synth Lead (Cinematic / Ambient / Diva Tutorial).

It's using a different virtual instrument, but just pay attention to the components of the virtual instrument (oscillators, filters, etc.), and use the corresponding modules in Voltage Modular.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

If anyone is interested, and upgrade to Voltage Modular Core is currently only $25 for Voltage Modular Ignite owners:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... rom-Ignite

* I have no affiliation, it's just seems like a great deal
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

Just want to say thanks for this, and all the other helpful comments.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm Here's a preset from Cameron to play around with:

Knife Walker with FX.voltagepreset

And here's a video that might help: How To Make Blade Runner Synth Lead (Cinematic / Ambient / Diva Tutorial).

It's using a different virtual instrument, but just pay attention to the components of the virtual instrument (oscillators, filters, etc.), and use the corresponding modules in Voltage Modular.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

ok,

Here's my first stab at some of the ending sequence. Everything is available within Mixcraft including the Cherry Audio stuff which comes with Mixcraft as a separate download. The key to making it sound "awright" is layering the instruments in Mixcraft like I did and adding some pretty heavily saturated reverb. I'll attach the voltage mod preset of the sequence. It still needs a bit of work but it's my first attempt at building something using voltage.

I'll include screenshots of the other Mixcraft instruments to layer and their key ranges. Again this is a starting point. If you loop a track in mixcraft, set bpm to 114. That's the speed of the sequence. If you want to change it, you have adjust both of the eight step sequencers rate in the voltage preset. The kick drum is half the speed of the snare. so divde the BPM of the snare by 2 to set the kick drum rate.

BladeEnd_seq2.voltagepreset
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Now the instruments to add and their key ranges:
bladerunner_end.JPG
bladerunner_end.JPG (31.61 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

And the reverb I used - spin the wet dry to taste

proreverb_1.JPG
proreverb_1.JPG (64.54 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Last edited by cactus-head on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:22 pm ok,

Here's my first stab at some of the ending sequence. Everything is available within Mixcraft including the Cherry Audio stuff which comes with Mixcraft as a separate download. The key to making it sound "awright" is layering the instruments in Mixcraft like I did and adding some pretty heavily saturated reverb. I'll attach the voltage mod preset of the sequence. It still needs a bit of work but it's my first attempt at building something using voltage.

I'll include screenshots of the other Mixcraft instruments to layer and their key ranges. Again this is a starting point

BladeEnd_seq2.voltagepreset

Now the instruments to add and their key ranges:

bladerunner_end.JPG

And the reverb I used - spin the wet dry to taste

proreverb_1.JPG
That's nice, thanks for sharing.

You can actually save the whole scene right there in the plugin selection dialog, and it will save the whole instrument chain, ranges etc.

bladerunner_end~2.JPG
bladerunner_end~2.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Something else to note: I have two oscillascopes in the voltage mod patch. I needed to test the voltage for an on-off switch and I wanted a visual so I could tell if it was working according to my intention. You can remove those scopes without it affecting the patch. That might give you back a little processing power.