Similar clips with linked content?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ferez21

Similar clips with linked content?

Post by ferez21 »

Hi,

Aside of all the feature requests i have in mind which are nice-to-haves but not crucial, i find one basic feature that i really need, and not sure if it doesn't exist or maybe I'm not looking at it right.

In FL Studio (which i have uses for more than a decade before switching to Mixcraft), you could have a clip arrangment the following way (lets say these are midi drum clips):
(A)-(A)-(A)-(B)-(A)-(A)
If you've changed the first (A) clip, the rest of the (A) clips will change too over the entire song, they are basically just copies of eacother

In Mixcraft, you have the clip loop function, so you can make as many neighbouring copies of a single clip as you want from a single one, and they are all linked to eachother so if you make a change in the base clip, all the looped clips are linked to it and will change too.

But what i really need is a way to link clips that are not next to eachother. For example, i want to be able to change all the clips named (A) even though there is a different (B) clip between them.

Essentially, if i made a 3 minute song, with my beat comprising of the following beat sequence: (A)-(B)-(A)-(C), and i want to correct clip A, say, i want to add a hihat or alter the velocities, i will need to replace each and every single (A) clip in the song, and that's a massive headache.

Is there an easy way to do that and i am just getting frustrated over nothing? :D

Thanks
jwarv

Re: Similar clips with linked content?

Post by jwarv »

I think you can ctrl/select all the separated A's and make the change in the editor window. But I'm totally talking from the lazy boy position on my couch without actually trying it. :roll:
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

jwarv wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:42 am I think you can ctrl/select all the separated A's and make the change in the editor window. But I'm totally talking from the lazy boy position on my couch without actually trying it. :roll:
Haha,
Well, yes but it will not edit them all unfortunately.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Yeah, I just tried. Once you separate them, they become independent nations. Most times that's a good thing, but if you want to save time, not so much.

You could duplicate the loop in another lane, make your edits, drag it out, and cut out the parts in accordance with the original. Once you're done, eliminate the original along with the lane.