Finer Control w/ Mouse

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

warhenk@yahoo.com

Finer Control w/ Mouse

Post by warhenk@yahoo.com »

Hi Greg, et. al., Hope everyone is well. I know that when you expand the mixer vertically, that the resolution increases for volume sliders, especially if you hold down the shift key, and that other dials, such as effect sends also have finer control when the shift key is held along with the left mouse button, but I get frustrated at times when I am trying to change settings in the mixer or plugins, because I don't have enough fine control to just 'set it and forget it.' IOW, the dial slips back as I release the mouse button. Say I'm trying to change an effect send from 10 to 12, that darn dial may jump somewhere between 8 and 14 when I release. I realize that it's not MC per se, it's the recoil movement of the mouse on the pad as the button's released, but I wonder if there's anything to alleviate this. I'm aware of some stylus-type devices that lend finer control for some software. I also have similar behavior when setting automation nodes. There, :!: MC could be improved so that if we hold down a Ctrl key or something, that the new point will precisely match the position of the previous anchor- it gets close, but again, I fight it. Thanks!
Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller - woodwindist/composer/producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion™
www.spontaneousgroovincombustion.com
"She is all that I have left and music is her name"
ferez21

Re: Finer Control w/ Mouse

Post by ferez21 »

warhenk@yahoo.com wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:29 am Hi Greg, et. al., Hope everyone is well. I know that when you expand the mixer vertically, that the resolution increases for volume sliders, especially if you hold down the shift key, and that other dials, such as effect sends also have finer control when the shift key is held along with the left mouse button, but I get frustrated at times when I am trying to change settings in the mixer or plugins, because I don't have enough fine control to just 'set it and forget it.' IOW, the dial slips back as I release the mouse button. Say I'm trying to change an effect send from 10 to 12, that darn dial may jump somewhere between 8 and 14 when I release. I realize that it's not MC per se, it's the recoil movement of the mouse on the pad as the button's released, but I wonder if there's anything to alleviate this. I'm aware of some stylus-type devices that lend finer control for some software. I also have similar behavior when setting automation nodes. There, :!: MC could be improved so that if we hold down a Ctrl key or something, that the new point will precisely match the position of the previous anchor- it gets close, but again, I fight it. Thanks!
Regarding automation, you can right-click a point and choose "Edit exact value". I find that holding the shift/Alt/Ctrl gives very precise control over knobs and sliders, but if that's not enough for your use, what I can suggest is to get a mouse that has a configurable DPI setting (even cheap mice have that function these days).
warhenk@yahoo.com

Re: Finer Control w/ Mouse

Post by warhenk@yahoo.com »

Hi ferez21, thanks- I did not know about Shft/Ctrl/Alt, it does give very incremental control on some things, and not others. And, I'm aware of right-click editing automation nodes. I appreciate your time!
Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller - woodwindist/composer/producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion™
www.spontaneousgroovincombustion.com
"She is all that I have left and music is her name"