I don't understand the CPU meter

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ferez21

I don't understand the CPU meter

Post by ferez21 »

Hi,
The CPU meter seem to always stay at the single digit region, no matter how heavy my project is.
I did a stress test, duplicated instances of Viper VST, to see at which point the audio will start acting out (stutter, crackle) - it started happening with 7 instances, but the CPU gauge shows no indication of that (Mixcraft: 3%, System: 6%). What is the point of the CPU gauge if it doesn't help monitoring actual CPU usage of projects and plugins?

image_2021-06-15_210459.png
image_2021-06-15_210459.png (95.78 KiB) Viewed 4087 times

In comparison, Studio One's meter is precise, so it helps me plan ahead the usage of plugins in my projects:

image_2021-06-15_211134.png
image_2021-06-15_211134.png (70.61 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
rev.f

Re: I don't understand the CPU meter

Post by rev.f »

Not sure, but my CPU meter is very accurate, and shows when I'm getting towards 100% and when the problems start with playback. Maybe yours is not interfacing with your computer accurately for some reason?
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

rev.f wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:13 am Not sure, but my CPU meter is very accurate, and shows when I'm getting towards 100% and when the problems start with playback. Maybe yours is not interfacing with your computer accurately for some reason?
Interesting, because I've used multiple different DAWs lately and all had valid CPU usage reading except for Mixcraft.
RollingStone

Post by RollingStone »

This feature seems completely garbage.
I also have always sth. between 0% and 10%, regardless if there are 2 or 200 tracks in the project.
Even if the audio starts crackling, the usage is in this area.

File it under "normal mixcraft bugs".
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Ok, I've managed to push the CPU meter to the yellow/red region for the first time, i guess the meter in general is buggy since sometimes it shows the appropriate CPU usage and sometimes it doesn't:

image_2021-06-16_000618.png
image_2021-06-16_000618.png (51.96 KiB) Viewed 4068 times

With this example I had 32 instances of AIR Vacuum Pro playing chords simultaneously, so the consumption of Mixcraft is close to 60% (makes sense) and I didn't experience any audio dropouts, while in the example before the CPU was fully loaded with audio dropouts and crackles, yet Mixcraft showed only 3% :roll:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're just getting the CPU info from Windows. It's entirely possible to get crackling with low CPU usage, since there are all sorts of factors involved, like hard drive speed, buffer size, audio driver, etc.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

This post probably doesn't help, but the meters are accurate for me. There's a direct coralation between the CPU meters and the sound crackling drop outs etc. Just a note, windows 10 task manager CPU meter has had inaccuracy problems.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yeah, if the Task Manager CPU reading is incorrect, then Mixcraft's will be incorrect.

But, again, audio playback issues aren't always due to high CPU usage.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am Hi,

We're just getting the CPU info from Windows. It's entirely possible to get crackling with low CPU usage since there are all sorts of factors involved, like hard drive speed, buffer size, audio driver, etc.

Greg
Hi Greg,
That's why i also gave the example from Studio One, 8 instances of Viper for sure consume close to 90% CPU rather than 3% on Mixcraft. There seem to be inconsistency when it comes to the CPU gauge, at least this is my personal experience.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mixcraft divvies the tracks up onto different processors, so your mileage will vary depending upon how many cores your computer has.
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:26 pm Mixcraft divvies the tracks up onto different processors, so your mileage will vary depending upon how many cores your computer has.
I still don't understand why the inconsistency in Mixcraft but not in other DAWs that i am using.
Problem is, if it is not acknowledged as a bug/problem by you guys, that means it is not going to be fixed, and that worries me a bit.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

This could be an instance where something is running in the background, Windows is horrible in this regard but it could be a bunch of things. Have you checked out task manager?

M
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:12 am This could be an instance where something is running in the background, Windows is horrible in this regard but it could be a bunch of things. Have you checked out task manager?

M
Yeah i did, but not at the same time i ran that instance.
However like i showed before, Studio One had no issue with the CPU gauge and showed a faithful representation, that's why i think this issue is specific to Mixcraft. It may not always happen but I've noticed it happens more often than not.