Adding FX selectively

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jules_alex

Adding FX selectively

Post by jules_alex »

A fairly basic question please. What is the best way of applying effects selectively to certain points in a track? In the past I’ve duplicated tracks and applied a huge echo to the copy- then set the volume to zero throughout except the points where I want the big delay. I’ve also tried using automation to control the delay parameters on a track (quite annoying to do as most delays have a lot of variables to adjust). There’s also using a send track and automating the original track to receive more or less delay..

Is there a RIGHT way of doing this? For reference- imagine the crazy echoes you hear on the end of lines in dub reggae- the kind of echo which would be absolute chaos if applied right across a track
The murky recesses of my psyche converted to sound- https://soundcloud.com/jules-alex-l
ferez21

Re: Adding FX selectively

Post by ferez21 »

Automation of the "Bypass" or "Mix" (dry/wet) knob of a plugin would be the best and probably most common way. Most plugins will have one of the two.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I don't know if there is a real right way or wrong way; it depends on what you want to achieve.

For a subtle dynamic control, you could also use a side-chain compressor on your send that "listens" to a specific track or submix and compresses the effect when the track is playing or at a certain level so you could dynamically open and close the gate so to speak on the effect.

For example, if I put do re mi fa sol la ti do on the piano roll of a midi track that's playing back a basic dry piano, I could route that to a send track that is saturated with reverb. I could add a sidechain compressor like Denisty MKIII on the send track, and a dry sidechain of the piano, and then turn up the drive and range so that the reverb is gated on the piano and then opened after the piano stops so the reverb trail is heard after the piano isn't playing but not so much while the piano is playing.
Luisarg

Post by Luisarg »

Hello, how can I add an echo effect only to a selection of the track?
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Luisarg wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:34 pm Hello, how can I add an echo effect only to a selection of the track?
Use automation on the 'wet' mix.

Echo.png
Echo.png (197.53 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Ausus Razen 5 12 core 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio