Having severe latency issues that seem unsolveable

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

matthewbee

Having severe latency issues that seem unsolveable

Post by matthewbee »

Hi all,
I've been working on an album for about a month now and for some reason I've been having really, really severe latency/lag issues. I've updated my drivers, reinstalled/tried to update Mixcraft 8.1, tweaked about every setting in preferences, and nothing seems to work. I can't even playback tracks - the program will just crash. This is really frustrating and I'm wondering if you guys know a solution so I can just play back my tracks and edit them normally, with no lag.

Here's a photo of the settings I'm using in Preferences, if that seems to help:
https://imgur.com/i9vDlC9
ferez21

Re: Having severe latency issues that seem unsolveable

Post by ferez21 »

matthewbee wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:39 pm Hi all,
I've been working on an album for about a month now and for some reason I've been having really, really severe latency/lag issues. I've updated my drivers, reinstalled/tried to update Mixcraft 8.1, tweaked about every setting in preferences, and nothing seems to work. I can't even playback tracks - the program will just crash. This is really frustrating and I'm wondering if you guys know a solution so I can just play back my tracks and edit them normally, with no lag.

Here's a photo of the settings I'm using in Preferences, if that seems to help:
https://imgur.com/i9vDlC9
Hard to determine the problem without thorough diagnostics , but here is something to try that might work.
Can you try using an ASIO driver by installing the free ASIO4ALL and then choosing ASIO in the preferences? If you already have an ASIO driver installed, you can just try it.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Input audio device shown as a Snowball mic. USB I assume?
How are you monitoring?

If I am correct, and its a USB mic, you may be able to get some low latency results monitoring from the mics headphone out, but its generally not a great way to work for multi-tracking in my experience.
USB mics can be great for podcasting and such for certain content creators, but fall short for music production.

But I am not sure, seems you are having more than one problem and the description is unclear/incomplete.

Generally- "latency" is the delay between what you play and what you hear while recording.
The playback problem may be "buffering".

Either may be best addressed with a dedicated audio interface and its associated driver, and some device settings.

If I am guessing correctly...

Its also possible that you dont have sufficient computer resources to run the project as desired.
Theres a lot of unknowns here.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
matthewbee

Post by matthewbee »

My computer has always ran Mixcraft smoothly, the "buffering" (that's the correct term for this, actually, thank you) has just occured 2-3 days ago. I installed ASIO, ran it at default settings. The buffering is even more unbearable then before. I don't know what to do. I wish I could articulate the inner happenings of Mixcraft right now but I'm sort of clueless when it comes to that. All I know is I can't work on project files at all. Is Mixcraft 9 any better at dealing with this?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Project:
High track count?
High plug-in count? (Especially time based reverb, delays)
Heavy use of virtual instruments/samples?

Sound device and driver?
Buffer setting?
Sample rate and bit depth?

Computer resources:
CPU, RAM, hard drive?

We know nearly nothing here.
Still guessing- but "default audio driver settings" are often unusable. You generally need to bump up the buffer settings until playback is stable. Many drivers have default settings that cause severe buffering and unstable playback.
And some ASIO drivers are not very good...

Or it could be something else entirely.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Can you send us a support ticket so we can have a look at your log file?
Send the ticket here http://support.acoustica.com