New to Mixcraft 9

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Stratocaster

New to Mixcraft 9

Post by Stratocaster »

Hi,

I've been using Mixcraft 7 happily for about 4 years but decided to upgrade to Mixcraft 9. Now when I try and start up and use a virtual instrument through my Alesis Q25 keyboard, I can't get a sound. In Mixcraft 7 Preferences I had two options (Core Audio and ASIO) and I used the ASIO setting for virtual instruments and Core Audio for guitars etc. The ASIO setting here in Mixcraft 9 is not in bold type and I can't use it. What am I doing wrong? I have to add that I'm not very good with technology (even after these last 4 years!). Help please!

Thanks,
Mick
Acoustica Greg

Re: New to Mixcraft 9

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

First, double-check the ASIO Device setting (below the Playback Device setting). Having the wrong ASIO device selected there could cause this.

If that doesn't help, what is your playback device? You may need to go to the manufacturer's web page to download the latest driver for it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Hi Stratocaster, I'm new to Mixcraft and just setup a couple days ago. I use an HX Stomp (part of Line 6 Helix family of devices) as my audio interface and had a similar issue getting the ASIO option to appear in Mixcraft 9. Under preferences >sound device menu in the dropdown for ASIO device defaulted to "ASIO Helix" which sounded right at first - but at first I couldn't get ASIO driver option to enable (was using the core audio wave rt option. But upon inspection of ASIO device instead of "ASIO Helix" there was another option and I had to actually change it to "ASIO HX Stomp" in order to enable the ASIO. Maybe check that Asio device box for other options?

I only mention this because what you're seeing sounds very similar to something I had to change.
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Well guys, thanks for your input but I'm none the wiser. As I said, I'm pretty useless with technology and when something doesn't work I'm way out of my depth. I'm a simple soul and used an Alesis Q25 plugged straight into my laptop and used the ASIO setting. When I wanted to play electric guitar I simply plugged it in through my interface and changed my preference to CoreAudio. That's it. And it always worked fine with Mixcraft 7. Now the ASIO icon is not available. Just CoreAudio (WaveRT) and Wave. Under 'Playback Device' there are just two options, speakers or headphones. I don't even know what a driver is! Yes, it's that bad! I'm more of a musician than a recording engineer!

Thanks,
Mick
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi
If you open Preferences and click Core Audio (or ASIO, or Wave), what shows up under 'Default Recording Device'?
Sound Device.png
Sound Device.png (28.78 KiB) Viewed 9716 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

I've attached a screenshot. My ASIO option button at top was greyed out similar to what you mentioned until I changed the dropdown shown to Line6 HX Stomp. Before that only the Core Audio (WaveRT) option was available.
Attachments
mixcr_pref.jpg
mixcr_pref.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Hi when I open up preferences the only playback device options are speakers and headphones and the ASIO icon is still not in bold.
Cheers,
Mick
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Interesting. I went to the alesis page and it says drivers not needed for the Q25. Says it is a class compliant and that it doesn't need drivers. I don't know what that means for connection setup. though. Sorry I can't help more. I'm pretty much reliant on web help when stuff goes wrong too. Wish I knew more.

https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/q25
outteh

Post by outteh »

Could be Windows is not recognizing your audio device. Check your windows audio settings. :D
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

What USB audio interface are you using?

I would reinstall/update the driver for it and see if Mixcraft 9 sees it. If it does not show up in Sound Devices, Mixcraft is not seeing it.

The Alesis would show up in Midi devices
outteh

Post by outteh »

Found this article, might help. With all the Windows changes and updates these days anything could have happened. :roll: :?

https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2331
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Hi Thanks for all your help. I'm very confused, still having problems and waiting for someone to sit next to me and talk me through it.
Computers eh?

Mick
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (533.38 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Er that's a screenshot of my preferences on Mixcraft 7 by the way which I just about managed to add to my last email!
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

Try installing ASIO4ALL:

https://www.asio4all.org/
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Hi I downloaded the ASIO4all as suggested but it makes no difference.

Here's the thing. I've been using Mixcraft 7 for about 4 years now and (being the simple soul that I am) used to plug my Alesis Q25 keyboard directly into my laptop, no problem. Playing straight away! And when I wanted to use my guitars, used a Moukey interface which was fine. It's only now that I've bought a new laptop that I think Mixcraft7 (or 9 come to that) is not recognising something. It's not a sound problem because when I open a virtual instrument, the 'musical typing' works fine and I can hear the notes. Has something changed maybe with my new laptop? Windows 10 not compatible or something? The ASIO option is still not available.

Cheers,
Mick