Mixing in Mono

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rvkitch

Mixing in Mono

Post by rvkitch »

Hello All,
Everything (or most everything) I read says that it's best to mix in mono. My project is all virtual instruments. No doubt this will sound ridiculous but if all of the channel pan sliders are centered, isn't that mono? If not, is there a Plug-in that can put everything to mono for mixing? Using MC 9 Pro. Sorry for the ignorance!!
Thanks Much!
ferez21

Re: Mixing in Mono

Post by ferez21 »

rvkitch wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:05 am Hello All,
Everything (or most everything) I read says that it's best to mix in mono. My project is all virtual instruments. No doubt this will sound ridiculous but if all of the channel pan sliders are centered, isn't that mono? If not, is there a Plug-in that can put everything to mono for mixing? Using MC 9 Pro. Sorry for the ignorance!!
Thanks Much!
You can use this:
https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/isol8

Mixing in mono doesnt mean your final product should be mono, it means that you just have to make sure from time to time during your mixing, that your track doesnt have any issues or sounds weird when being played back in mono, for the sake of the listeners who are going to listen to it on their phones and such .
Additionally, if its a club oriented track, the bass is going to be "monoized" by the club's sound system for the sake of the low frequencies being played through a subwoofer, so you also want to make sure you have no phasing issues in the low end when its "monoized".