Mixcraft 9 Issues

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

richy

Mixcraft 9 Issues

Post by richy »

I cannot get used to Mixcraft 9 and find myself reverting back to 5 just to get things done.

This issues I have had:

1. Exponential left-right scroll - seems to suddenly go off the scale so I get lost when zoomed in
2. Horizontal scroll bar is too thin and is too similar in colour to the rest so I spend too much time searching for it
3. It is much harder to see lower volume parts of a recording than it was with 5. With 9 I must increase the height of the track to get more definition.
4. Seems to deal with missing sounds randomly: sometimes substitutes missing sounds for the wrong sound; other times it give me the opportunity to browse for the missing file
5. The points only show up when hovering over them so they can only be located after browsing through the track
6. It appears to use the Auto Beatmatch setting from the most recent Mixcraft session (regardless of which project was running) and so when I move from one unfinished project to another unfinished project, this setting appears to change
7. I have to put extra pressure on the mouse button when left clicking. A light click does nothing and this is counter-intuitive (to me)
8. It has crashed several times. Mixcraft 5 never crashed
9. Sometimes crackling and popping in wave file after mixing down The answer is to isolate the offending track(s) and freeze it/them prior to mix-down. This should not be necessary
10. It keeps recreating folders that I previously deleted I raised this before. I have tried to live with it but it's very annoying
11. It uses the default save domain from the previously saved project. That means when I dip from one project to another, the default save directory changes too (am I doing something wrong?)
12. Today I got the message "Mixcraft failed to save the project" and I had to re-record the new part that wouldn't save

At first I though I just had to get used to 9 after a big leap from 5 but it's annoying me more as I get used to it.

Perhaps I mis-understood some things above but 9 appears to slow things down for me.

NB point 12, anyone know why I can't save a project? I have tried different drives and no matter what I do it will not save
hpharley90

Re: Mixcraft 9 Issues

Post by hpharley90 »

Sorry to hear about your issues....I can't really help but I have none of those issues.....
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
jmpld

Post by jmpld »

Yeah, I too find that things are sometimes hard to see. Often, there isn't enough visual contrast, and I remember fewer such problems in earlier versions.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to missing files - when you load a project that has an audio file in it, the project file is pointing to a specific file in a specific location. For example:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Micraft Projects\PROJECTX\audio_file.wav

If the file or folder gets renamed, moved, or deleted, the file will be "missing." If there's another file with exactly the same name, Mixcraft might find that file and load that file instead. Recent versions of Mixcraft add a number to the filename of audio files that you record in an attempt to avoid this problem (Mixcraft 5 didn't do that, and there was lots of mixed-up file confusion with that version).

It also sounds like you might have changed your default project folder setting. Sometimes people set it to be their desktop and then are surprised to see folders being created on their desktop.

If you can't save, that means that Mixcraft can't write to the save location. This can happen if you don't have write permission to the save location. It can also happen if the temp folder is set to a non-writable location.

The next time that happens, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\

Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

richy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:21 pm 9. Sometimes crackling and popping in wave file after mixing down The answer is to isolate the offending track(s) and freeze it/them prior to mix-down. This should not be necessary
10. It keeps recreating folders that I previously deleted I raised this before. I have tried to live with it but it's very annoying
11. It uses the default save domain from the previously saved project. That means when I dip from one project to another, the default save directory changes too (am I doing something wrong?)
12. Today I got the message "Mixcraft failed to save the project" and I had to re-record the new part that wouldn't save

It sure sounds like you've been moving, deleting, renaming etc files that shouldn't be messed with. The cracking and popping could very well be your settings or your system.

M
richy

Post by richy »

Greg,

Regarding missing files. Occasionally I do housekeeping with pc files and move them around (I presume most people do).

So, no big deal...I opened a Mixcraft 9 project and thought I could point it to the missing file but it did its own thing before I had a chance to do my thing and on some occasions it found the wrong file (sometimes it let me do it from the start).

I have 2 main areas where I use Mixcraft and they are in different locations on the pc and I am probably better off with no default at all.

What happens is that after working on one file, I get fed up with having to redirect the save location from the incorrect default and so I change the default. Then I change to a project to the other separate area of the pc and then I have the same problem and so I change the default again.

As for it not saving, I tried lots of locations none of which were non-writable (all other apps write to these locations) I will send the log file if it happens again.

As for Rolling Estonian's point, yes I move files around. I have one area for "mix tapes" and another for composition/mixing. The compo/mixing is in three phases: sandbox, mixing and final production and each has 3 different pc locations. The sandbox is just for me and the mixing and final are shared with other users. That's why they are moved so much.

I think that Mixcraft is very good (I've highlighted some issues but overall it is GOOD) but 9 is trying to be a bit too clever and does not fit well with the way that I do things.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not sure that any other DAW would be able to magically find the correct file if you moved it, especially if you had more than one file with the same filename.

Just be aware of what's going on when you move stuff. If you move an audio file, and a project file was loading it from that location, then it's going to be "missing" when you open the project.

If you need to move project folders around, choose "Copy Project Folder" from the File menu to avoid this kind of problem.

Greg
Crimsonsunaudio

Post by Crimsonsunaudio »

richy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:21 pm 4. Seems to deal with missing sounds randomly: sometimes substitutes missing sounds for the wrong sound; other times it give me the opportunity to browse for the missing file
I tested this today. I moved an audio file (used in a project) to the desktop to see what would happen when I reloaded the project. Mixcraft actually found it successfully after initiating a scan upon reopening the project. But, strangely, after adding another audio file to the project (and saving) Mixcraft then failed to find it when the project was reopened. Instead, it placed the second audio file I added, in its place.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Hard to say what happened without more information. If the filenames of two different files are identical, then it's entirely possible that the wrong file could be loaded. That's why Mixcraft adds numbers to the filenames of audio that you record in Mixcraft.

Greg
Crimsonsunaudio

Post by Crimsonsunaudio »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am Hi,

Hard to say what happened without more information. If the filenames of two different files are identical, then it's entirely possible that the wrong file could be loaded. That's why Mixcraft adds numbers to the filenames of audio that you record in Mixcraft.

Greg
The two files had different names. It was strange because the 'container' ie. the audio track represented on the timeline, had the correct name for the file in the header but the actual audio was for the second file.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft is going off the filename and location. Get the problem to happen again, then quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg