unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The moral of the story is that different virtual instruments can behave very differently from one another given the same MIDI input.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
outteh

Post by outteh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :wink:

What about the volume glitches? By removing all the volume cc from the tracks I didn’t notice any volume increase. But the issue with the tempo change increasing the volume and Pierres issue with start and stop changing the volume.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

outteh wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:55 pm
clavguy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm I will try all that...
Yesssssss that worked... but why does everything get louder when I hit <stop> and <play> again

But moving on... why can't I get my Superwave Equinoxe VST to work on MuseScore files?
On the MuseScore file, set a track to a standard instrument, i.e. Strings to Acoustica strings instrument. Then play the track and switch the instrument to the Equinoxe in real time while playng. It will then play, don't know why maybe Greg can get some folks to look at it. I downloaded the trail version 64 bit version 1.1. :D
That only worked with the first "lead" track... when I tried to do that with the bass track, it went silent
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

clavguy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm That only worked with the first "lead" track... when I tried to do that with the bass track, it went silent
We're back to B-3 v2 here?

Edited to add: And track 7 of Whiter Shade?
outteh

Post by outteh »

clavguy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm
outteh wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:55 pm
clavguy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm I will try all that...
Yesssssss that worked... but why does everything get louder when I hit <stop> and <play> again

But moving on... why can't I get my Superwave Equinoxe VST to work on MuseScore files?
On the MuseScore file, set a track to a standard instrument, i.e. Strings to Acoustica strings instrument. Then play the track and switch the instrument to the Equinoxe in real time while playng. It will then play, don't know why maybe Greg can get some folks to look at it. I downloaded the trail version 64 bit version 1.1. :D
That only worked with the first "lead" track... when I tried to do that with the bass track, it went silent
I’m not sure just what you are doing. Did you set the bass track to a standard instrument and then switch to Equinoxe while it was playing. Once I got one track playing they all worked when I loaded Equinioxe on them.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

I can hear B-3 on track 7 of Whiter Shade of Pale.

I can hear Equinoxe on track 7 if I change the note properties to MIDI ch. 1.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

I looked at the MS_A_Whiter... file. There's a ton of meta data in there that seems specific to a system setup. I see references to MS Wave Table Synth, Out to MIDI Yoke 1, and lot's of stuff that is very system specific.

While Meta Data can be stored in a MIDI file, this looks like it's meant to be read by specific software that can reinterpret the Meta data to function as it needs to.

My point is, there could be a bunch of non-general MIDI stuff in the file that is throwing off Mixcraft. Mixcraft may just not know what to do with all that extra data and maybe it's creating something in memory or it's just not loading chunks - or who knows. Most of the time, meta data like this would be ignored by the program. so it might not be an issue.

Second thing, each track in the MIDI file is set to a specific channel and a specific program change. This will get carried over to Mixcraft. Also, the program change number is embedded in the MIDI code too. So when you start the song, the program change is sent to the virtual or physical instrument and will attempt to change the patch if that function exists on the virtual or physical instrument. For example, track 1 loads with Voice which is GM 54.

If I change the virtual instrument to Glass Viper on track 1, when I hit play from the beginning, the patch in Glass Viper will change to "Piano Dreamer" which is the 55th preset or patch 54 in a zero starting point numbering system.

If you want to change the instrument, but don't want the playback to change the preset or patch, make sure on the sound tab you select "Program Change" below the piano roll window and erase all the Program Change stuff. Don't erase or change the other CC stuff - start with only the Program Change. My feeling is this will solve your issues with file.

And I apologize if this was already suggested. I skimmed all the postss to get the gist of the situation.
Last edited by cactus-head on Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

cactus-head wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 pm Hello,

I looked at the MS_A_Whiter... file. There's a ton of meta data in there that seems specific to a system setup. I see references to MS Wave Table Synth, Out to MIDI Yoke 1, and lot's of stuff that is very system specific.

While Meta Data can be stored in a MIDI file, this looks like it's meant to be read by specific software that can reinterpret the Meta data to function as it needs to.

My point is, there could be a bunch of non-general MIDI stuff in the file that is throwing off Mixcraft. Mixcraft may just not know what to do with all that extra data and maybe it's creating something in memory or it's just not loading chunks - or who knows. Most of the time, meta data like this would be ignored by the program. so it might not be an issue.

Second thing, each track in the MIDI file is set to a specific channel and a specific program change. This will get carried over to Mixcraft. Also, the program change number is embedded in the MIDI code too. So when you start the song, the program change is sent to the virtual or physical instrument and will attempt to change the patch if that function exists on the virtual or physical instrument. For example, track 1 loads with Voice which is GM 54.

If I change the virtual instrument to Glass Viper on track 1, when I hit play from the beginning, the patch in Glass Viper will change to "Piano Dreamer" which is the 55th preset or patch 54 in a zero starting point numbering system.

If you want to change the instrument, but don't want the playback to change the preset or patch, make sure on the sound tab you select "Program Change" below the piano roll window and erase all the Program Change stuff. Don't erase or change the other CC stuff - start with only the Program Change. My feeling is this will solve your issues with file.
The problem with the tracks not playing for the Arturia B-3 plugin is due to some settings in the plugin (see my earlier post).

The problem with the tracks not playing for he Equinoxe plugin is due to the notes in the imported MIDI clips are set to MIDI channels other than 1.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

My fault for skimming the contents of the posts :cry:
outteh

Post by outteh »

Cactus-head, what do you use to look into the midi file? Also, there were no visible program change cc command in the Mixcraft sound tab, only standard ones like volume, reverb, pan and velocity. :D
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Yes.... what Tom asked... how do you dig into a MIDI file?

and how does one change MIDI note properties?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Here's how I get into note properties for all the notes in a clip:
1. Click on one note in the piano roll to select it.
2. Press Ctrl+A to select all the notes in that clip.
3. Right-click on one of the notes and select Note Properties.

For the problem with Equinoxe, change the MIDI Channel setting to 1.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

WOW this is awesome....
Got the both the Organ stuff annnnnnnnnnnnnnd the Equinoxe stuff to work... Now please enlighten me

How did you guys figure out that B3-2 and Equinoxe VSTs both needed input on channel 1 and that the MuseScore files where hosing it? I figured out that the B3-2 wanted channel 1 or 2 depending on upper or lower keyboard by looking at it's manual but only after Greg mentioned it. Where does it say that Equinoxe wants to see stuff on channel 1?
outteh

Post by outteh »

Most of the time it's trial and error, knowing some midi stuff is sometimes system specific. Greg’s point about selecting a note in the piano role and clicking note properties is a great starting point for experimenting. :D :wink:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

With the B-3 you don't even have to set the track to a certain MIDI channel, you can go into the B-3's settings and change the Keyboard Mode setting from Multi to one of the other settings.

I thought to look at the note properties when all the other ideas ran out. :lol:

Greg