unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Post by clavguy »

OK.... Riddle me this one..
I have a MIDI file(s) that i have downloaded from MuseScore. I drag it in to Mixcraft and drop it on an instrument track. It fills in as many instrument tracks as it needs with MIDI data. I hit <play> and it plays with the default instruments that are in there... fine. Now I go to the first track an put in one of my favorite synths and hit <play>. It looks like it's playing fine except I don't hear anything from one of the tracks below until i hit <stop> and <play> again. THEN, i hear that track along with my new synth track. If I stop and rewind, then I have to that again after <play> Moving on, i add my favorite synth to 2 more tracks lower down. Hit <play> and hear NOTHING from the two I just changed. This is driving me nuts. I swear there is some control information in those MIDI tracks that I can't see I "look" using the sound tab and see nothing... no program change, no bank select, nothing...
I should also mention that the only track that plays the "new" synth is the top track. I just tried changing one of the middle tracks only and it does not play the new synth sound.
Once again.. I suspect there is something at the beginning of these tracks that is hosing me and I can't see it...

ANY IDEAS????
Acoustica Greg

Re: unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Welcome back - long time no see!

You've got Mixcraft 9.0 build 469? The velocity is okay? If you try it with other virtual instruments, does the problem happen?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Hi Greg.

Thanks and it's great to be back.
Yes I am running Mixcraft 9 build 469. And, yes the problem is there with Pianissimo.

If you remember, I am a big Jean Michel Jarre fan. And a while ago, I had issues running the Superwave Equinoxe virtual synth. I have since resolved that problem and I have been successfully using it.

Herein lies my issue. I downloaded a JMJ MIDI file from MuseScore and a similar one from the Superwave web site.
Using the presets within Superwave Equinoxe, I was successful in creating a working multi MIDI track project with the file I got from Superwave but the problem I mentioned above is there with the MuseScore file.

I should also mention here that I tried a similar exercise with a non JMJ file from MuseScore last week with Whiter Shade of Pale and tried to use my new B5 Hammond organ preset. That worked on the first track.. but when i tried to put Pianissimo on tracks below that... they went silent.. Though they all played fine on original default instruments before I tried "playing" around with it...

I have a feeling you are going to tell me that that this is "operator head gap error" :oops:

Cheers
Pierre
outteh

Post by outteh »

Is it possible to get the Musescore from a download so others can investigate the issue? :D
Maybe it’s a midi channel issue?
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Sure thing... I can give you both MIDIs the one I got from MuseScore and the one I got from Superwave... What's the best way to do that...
Also... I just revisited my Whiter Shade of Pale MuseScore file again. I stand corrected, I think. I put Pianissimo in place of one of the organ tracks and it plays fine.. I tried (Bright Combo Organ): Combo Organ Model V (32 bit) in that same track and it worked too. But my Arturia B3-V2 is silent...
I should also re-mention here also... When I try to put in one of "MY" virtual instruments... when I hit <stop> and <play> again during play.... everything else gets louder.. not by much but louder.

While I am here... why do a lot of my instruments appear twice in the list like this?
ARP 2600 V2
ARP 2600 V2 (VST3)

Which of these should I be using?
So, anyway... how do I get you those MIDI files??????
outteh

Post by outteh »

Vst is the standard vst 2 format. Vst 3 is the newer format. Usually when you install the product it asks if you want vst and vst 3. You should be able to find the different copies in different file locations depending on where they were installed. vst3 has been known to cause some issues.

Can you do a file link to a google drive or Dropbox? I am really curious as to what’s happening! :D
Last edited by outteh on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Check this link and see if it helps. There is a “Master” midi volume control that may embedded in the fie. It’s normally used to level volumes against all instruments. :D

https://midi-tutor.proboards.com/thre ... idi-volume
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to the other question, use the not-VST3 one if the VST3 gives you trouble.

Greg
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

I know how to create a shared folder in my Dropbox.. but how can I create one so all you guys can access it and get files without me having to name each one of you individually name by name?
outteh

Post by outteh »

Create a link to a shared folder and post it on the forum. Anyone who uses the link gets access. :D
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

I think this old fart did it
here is the link to my drop box folder called Mixcraft
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0oqqlato4xam ... VVzpa?dl=0

in it are the following files
Equinoxe 4.mid is a MIDI file that I downloaded from the Superwave web site of the JMJ song Equinoxe 4. I used the Superwave Equinoxe virtual instrument and rendered it down to Equinoxe Super.mp3 with no problem at all..

Any file that has MS in the front of the file name came from MuseScore
MS_Oxygene_part_IV(1).mid is another JMJ MIDI file and MS_Oxygene_part_IV.mp3 is an MP3 file that MuseScore says it should sound like. I tried using the Superwave Equinoxe virtual instrument on this one and it suffered from the problem mentioned above.

And finally MS_A_Whiter_Shade_of_Pale_Procol_Harum(1).mid is self explanatory. On that one i have been deleting tracks 2, 6 and 8. 2 is a Organ Leslie speed up and slow down track that i don't need and tracks 6 and 8 are guitar tablature tracks . I tried using my "store bought" Hammond B3 organs on this one and suffered the same problem. But, like i said in my previous post, apparently it worked ok with some of the virtual instruments that came with Mixcraft.

But that still don't explain why the MIDI files I downloaded from another web sight worked fine????
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The ones from Musescore do have CC messages embedded in them. Anything in blue has CC:

Oxygene track
Oxygene track
2021-08-19_093116.png (31.12 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

Try clearing All Controllers Off, and if that doesn't work, starting clearing the other ones until you get good results.

Greg
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Thanks Greg....

you said Try clearing All Controllers Off, and if that doesn't work, starting clearing the other ones until you get good results.

Doesn't "clearing All Controllers Off" clear the others??? you lost me....
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Worth a try. But the point is that the Musescore MIDI files do have CC messages, and they could be having an effect on the problem you're experiencing.

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

MS_Oxgene_partIV.mid

1. If you adjust the tempo of the file while playing the volume increases
2. Loaded several instruments and synths across all tracks and all played fine.
3. Don't drag and drop the file into a track to load it, load it as a new project.

Additional note. If you remove the volume command from all the tracks, the tempo change does not effect the volume and everything plays at an equal volume level.

Equinoxe4.mid

1. Loaded as a new project and all the instruments came through as Grand Piano (standard midi default), apparently it can't recognize whatever command was used to interpret an instrument. The track title does show what it is supposed to be (Drums, Bass, Strings, etc.)
2. Didn't run into any volume issues with this file, and changing tempo did not effect volume.
3. No problem with using multiple instruments and synths across multiple tracks.

I believe the issues encountered are a result of how the files were created and midi interpreted by the creation software. Not unusual for multiple software programs. Don't think Mixcraft has an issue. Didn't see any unusual midi commands being used.