Can I record midi routed from another channel?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gaffster

Can I record midi routed from another channel?

Post by gaffster »

With all these chord generator plugins and riff sequencers; sure I can route the midi from that tool to an instrument channel that sounds the notes but how can I record that midi to that second channel? I just get a blank note strip. Sure some of these tools generate midi files or allow for drag to the DAW, but it would be easier to just hit record and then disconnect the generator channel and move on. Thanks !
Acoustica Greg

Re: Can I record midi routed from another channel?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There's no option to do that. But you can direct MIDI from one of those kind of instruments directly into another virtual instrument by putting them both on the same track. (Change Instrument > Show Details > Select Synth).

People request a feature that would allow you to record the MIDI output of a plugin from time to time, and we have it logged as a possible feature request.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

I have Scaler 2 and Melody Sauce and they both have the drag to midi which is very useful with Mixcraft. I tried kushview and loopbe midi to try to reroute the midi, but probably through my incompetence wasn't able to figure either out into something workable. For these types of plugs with mixcraft the drag to midi is a key component for me, and scalar 2's built in synth is nice so you can hear what you're working with before you drag to a midi track and can change sounds internally to the Scalar plugin without having to change downstream instruments. (Melody Sauce is less flexible in this way, but still usable). I downloaded a few other daws to experiment with other plugs of this nature because I find I like playing with the generation-type plugs but can't get the midi out otherwise - but learning new daws is slow for me with so many other things I'm trying to learn at the same time. But the generation stuff is very interesting to me. Scalar in particular is incredible for non-piano players.
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

I also use scaler2 and chordjam and believe me that even though I do play piano, those tools provide me with so much value and instant realization of Western music theory. And Mixcraft is easy on my laptop so these heavy duty VSTs play nice.
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:28 pm Hi,

There's no option to do that. But you can direct MIDI from one of those kind of instruments directly into another virtual instrument by putting them both on the same track. (Change Instrument > Show Details > Select Synth).

People request a feature that would allow you to record the MIDI output of a plugin from time to time, and we have it logged as a possible feature request.

Greg
Thanks for the response...yes would be nice feature. It just fits in with the intuitive theme of the Mixcraft platform. I see a good level on a channel meter (be it audio -OR- midi sourced) so I hit the big red button and capture it.
MattVG

Post by MattVG »

I just came across this short video from the Fans of Mixcraft channel that might be a solution. He uses a plugin called LoopBe1 to record midi from a chord generation plugin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ9Mwktrfj0

Link to the plugin:
https://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

MattVG wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:31 pm I just came across this short video from the Fans of Mixcraft channel that might be a solution. He uses a plugin called LoopBe1 to record midi from a chord generation plugin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ9Mwktrfj0

Link to the plugin:
https://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html
Hey Thanks, I will give that a try. I recall using loopbe1 for a lighting control project years ago. Also subbed to that fans of mixcraft channel 8)
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

I would like to use mixcraft for live gigs. The idea is to assign a drum pad on my controller to each channel's mute and an associated fader (or knob) to each channel's volume. Than I can easily "multi"/combi" or "split" my keyboard on the fly. If I 'link' channels, the volume control is linked as well so no independent mixing can happen. The mute works...so it is do-able but not optimum.

Performance mode is great for playback but a true LIVE GIG gig mode as outlined above would be sweet. Akai tried this with their VIP software and PRO controllers but I found that software to be...hmmm super buggy.

If someone would invent a keyboard controller with a built in usb/audio interface with a win/apple switch, IO and master volume/eq...I would so go for that. Just my 'puter and kb...off to the gig.