How does one make talking sound like it's outdoors

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

cactus-head

How does one make talking sound like it's outdoors

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I have a conversation with three people that is supposedly happening outdoors (I have to record it indoors). What can I do to make it sound like the voices are in different positions outdoors in say a town plaza but within the same general space? Reverb has been a little tricky in this situation.
Fats Lardbelly

Re: How does one make talking sound like it's outdoors

Post by Fats Lardbelly »

How I would do that would be to put all of the different voices into seperate tracks and adjust the balance of each voice to be where I want them to sound in the mix. The volume of each voice can also represent distance.

I would then search online for a free audio file of outdoor noise such as, in your case, a town plaza if possible and put this on another seperate track.

All of the tracks can then be mixed together to however best gives the effect you need before exporting it all to your preferred file type.

I haven't tried this particular answer but have successfully reproduced similar results with artists and audience recorded indoors that then appear to be outside.

May not be the right or the best way but it works for me.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Thanks!

I will try exactly that. Stupid me was keeping the voice volumes balanced but slight volume differences for distance is so obvious it should've bit me!

Should I use any type of reverb? I've come close with like minor reflections but it kind of ends up sounding like a small room.
Fats Lardbelly

Post by Fats Lardbelly »

Glad I could help.

I normally use a regular preferred set of effects fo all of my my final mixes before exporting and then adjust slightly to suit each project. The whole mix will usually benefit from some form of reverb but allow for the fact that a recording actually made outdoors would not have much natural reverb in it's sound. Too much added can spoil the whole effect you are trying to achieve.

Light reverb on each of the voices can also enhance them within the mix.

I guess trial and error with all the components is the key here until your happy with the results.

Good luck.
Reins

Post by Reins »

Hey,

You can also check samples in mixcraft. Train station etc.. there's plenty of background chatter etc
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Thanks! That comes in very handy. I found a couple of great things I can use.