2 clips with different FXs on 1 track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rvkitch

2 clips with different FXs on 1 track

Post by rvkitch »

Hi All,
Just wondering how (or if I can) have 2 or even 3 separate clips of the same instrument on one track with totally different FXs on each one and then just not merging them? I'm using a VST guitar (Realstrat) and wanting to start with some mellow and clean picking for a few measures then go in to some heavy power chords using the Shred amp plugin without having to add another Virtual instrument track. I already have 4 guitar tracks just to get the different guitar sounds and feel. I'm guessing maybe automation but I haven't figured it out yet. Seems like any effect I add just adds it to the entire track.

Thanks So Much!
Acoustica Greg

Re: 2 clips with different FXs on 1 track

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Check out this video: Mixcraft University | Using Automation.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
rvkitch

Post by rvkitch »

Thanks for the quick response Greg,
Unfortunately, I'm a total dumbass! I've already watched that video a dozen times, I still don't see how to have 2 or more clips in the same track with different FX! Even when I highlight a clip to try and add an effect, it adds it to the entire track. I realize I'm missing something super simple!
Thanks Again!
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Real quick, the method is to add animation lanes that are tied to specific controls of the effects. In the examples below, I've added two clips to the acoustic piano track, two effects: Shred Amp Sim and Acoustica Pro Reverb (don't mind TB gate in the pic - it wasn't a good example so I switched to reverb), and two automation lanes that I assigned a control from each effect to.

The goal is to turn off the Amp and let the reverb play at its normal level for Clip 1, and then for Clip 2 I want the Amp on and the reverb Mix cranked to the top so there is all effect and virtual no dry signal on the reverb.

I click the squiggly line to open the automation, then I click the + icon to add two automation lanes. Using the drop down, I choose Shred Amp Sim and the control HeadOn to be able to turn it on and off. On the second lane drop down I choose Acc. Pro Rev. and select Mix as the control.

The first automation lane drops down to 0 percent to turn OFF the AMP head at Clip 1. At Clip 2, it's all the way to 100% turning the amp head on. The second automation lane has the Mix control at the normal level for the reverb on Clip 1, then I crank it up to 100% on clip 2. You can do this with any number of aumtation lanes and various controls for various effects allowing you to mange effects per clip on a single track.

2 fx list.JPG
2 fx list.JPG (33.11 KiB) Viewed 765 times
2 fx shed head on.JPG
2 fx shed head on.JPG (121.55 KiB) Viewed 765 times
2 fx reverb mix.JPG
2 fx reverb mix.JPG (90.52 KiB) Viewed 765 times
2 fx automation.JPG
2 fx automation.JPG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 765 times
rvkitch

Post by rvkitch »

Thanks Cactus-Head,
That sure headed me in the right direction. I saw all the control points but had no idea that Head-on is what I needed. I hope I can figure a lot more of this stuff out before I'm too old to figure anything out!
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Dude,

When messing around with automation for plugins, look for the simple things first like Bypass, On, Off, Master Volume, Input Gain, Output Gain. Some plugins have all of their options available for automation and that's where you can get a headache searching for what you need.

As an example of "going crazy" with this stuff, the screen shot below is Ample Guitar's available options. There must be thousands for one instance of the plugin. I drew an arrow that shows that there is a slider and roughly 20 or 30 more screens that can slide into view just like the one displayed but with other options including 15 MIDI channels each with 127 CC control options. The MIDI CCs alone 15X127 = 1905 independent controls.

Ample Guitar Automation Controls.JPG
Ample Guitar Automation Controls.JPG (90.86 KiB) Viewed 694 times