Editing Midi clip

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Frantiac

Editing Midi clip

Post by Frantiac »

I can't find an answer to this although it's probably staring me in the face:

1) I've programmed a 1-bar midi drum pattern in the step sequencer and dragged it to the length of the song
2) I've then isolated an 8-bar section of that track for editing by selecting "split" at both ends
3) Any edit I then do in the first bar is duplicated in the other seven bars, which I don't want.

How can I make those eight bars one editable clip without that happening?

Thanks in advance
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Mark Bliss

Re: Editing Midi clip

Post by Mark Bliss »

Merge your 8 clips into one clip.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Thanks Mark - just to be sure, as I can't find a merge option for Midi, is "Mix to new Clip" the merge function?
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi

Just select all clips (click and drag over them; or with the track selected, hit CTRL A) - then CTRL W will merge them.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Frantiac wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:38 am Thanks Mark - just to be sure, as I can't find a merge option for Midi, is "Mix to new Clip" the merge function?
"Mix to new clip" would create an audio track. It seems you want to edit in MIDI.
trevlyns wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:46 am Hi

Just select all clips (click and drag over them; or with the track selected, hit CTRL A) - then CTRL W will merge them.
Right. But CTRL A would select all clips.
Alternatively, you could select just the eight one bar clips.
(If you are a mouser, "shift-click" and "alt-click" work like word processing)

Once the eight bars are highlighted, right clicking within any selected clip drops down a menu where the merge function is available. or CTRL W if you are a shortcut key user.
Once merged, you now have an eight bar clip to edit as desired in your description.

(There are, as usual several ways to accomplish the same result)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Thanks for your input - I think I'm beginning to see the problem now:

After I've programmed one bar of drums and dragged it to a length of, for example, 200 bars it seems to be treated as one long clip, not 200
individual clips. So when I isolate a certain 8-bar section for editing and "split" both ends, then I'm left with a clip where every change I make is duplicated in each of the eight bars. There is no merge option in the drop down menu, presumably as it's considered already merged.

So going right back to basics is there a simple way of repeating (instead of dragging) my original one-bar drum pattern 199 times so that there are 200 separate clips? I imagine that could solve the problem.
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

OK. I'm afraid none of your suggestions about merging/selecting individual clips have helped as the 1-bar drum pattern, once dragged out to 200 copies, is treated as a single clip.

I think I've found a workaround: right click the now 200-bar long midi clip and select "Mix to New Clip". As far as I can see I can then edit without problem - not quite sure why though. I'd love to hear from a guru as to whether this is OK or whether it'll cause problems further down the line...
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

OK, I am pretty sure I understand what you are doing now. Many times descriptions and terminology can confuse.

Likewise, describing the solution textually is likely to further confuse.

If no one beats me to it, I will post some tips and images later for you, as well as some workflow suggestions.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Frantiac wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:46 am OK. I'm afraid none of your suggestions about merging/selecting individual clips have helped as the 1-bar drum pattern, once dragged out to 200 copies, is treated as a single clip.

I think I've found a workaround: right click the now 200-bar long midi clip and select "Mix to New Clip". As far as I can see I can then edit without problem - not quite sure why though. I'd love to hear from a guru as to whether this is OK or whether it'll cause problems further down the line...
That's the perfect solution.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Many thanks for your input and subsequent offer Mark but surprisingly the workaround I stumbled upon has been approved by Greg so I'm sorted...

Cheers,
Graham
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Whelp...
Alrighty then.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

I mean, you could also hold down the Alt key and drag a MIDI clip to make a separate editable clip.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101