Moving to new computer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Moving to new computer

Post by BillW »

I asked this question a while ago but did not get a response - Can someone point me to "best practices" for moving projects from one computer to another?

I have Mixcraft loaded and I also loaded all the VSTs and VSTis (purchased and free) that I have on the "old" computer.

Last step is moving the projects themselves. I seem to recall there is a way to "package" everything.

Is there some link or something to help me figure out the best way to do this?

Thanks much!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Moving to new computer

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Hey Bill,

You're going to need to do reinstalls of the vst that require it, if they're just dll you can just move them like any other files. I used a fast external drive for all of this. You can save your projects as zip and move them over or just copy/move them. I save all of my program files so that I won't have to download them again but you do have to reinstall. Not a difficult process though can be time consuming depending on the volume of data you need to move.

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Thanks much - all the products are loaded (EZDrummer, stuff from Chris Hein etc) and the DLLs.

So my last task was moving the projects over. The zip thing I guess will work - but I ran into a glitch with Waves.

I transferred my Bass Rider and Guitar Rack license - and now I can't zip up projects that use them because the old computer doesn't have them. So I assume I have to transfer it back to the old one - then zip, then transfer it back to the new one, then upzip.

A pain, but oh well!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Bill, I just went through this and what I did was copy the entire file folder where my Mixcraft project files were stored to a USB flash drive. Then copied the files off the flash drive onto my new computer. It takes some time depending on how much you have but it works really well. Your correct about the waves license, I ran into that also and had to move licenses off my old computer onto the new one. Also, some VST's actually had to reinstalled. :D
BillW

Post by BillW »

Thanks much!