Is this right?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

pritchard92

Is this right?

Post by pritchard92 »

Okay, so i wanna be able to record live, like one microphone (maybe two) and my acoustic guitar.

Is this possible on Mixcraft?
If so, will each input have its own track?(that would be ideal). Or will it be condensed into one?

Im guessing to do this, ill need a mixer of sorts. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Awesome forum :)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You can record multiple tracks at once, you just have to have an input device which has multiple inputs.
A lot of people here use m-audio products, like a usb device such as the fast track mobile seen here which gives you two inputs.
pritchard92

Thanks

Post by pritchard92 »

Wow, cheers Eric.

That is definately an option, and will keep it in mind when it comes to purchasing.

Im glad I dont have to ditch Mixcraft :)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Glad to help, and actually you would need something like the m-audio product, no matter what recording software you use if you want to record multiple tracks at once.
pritchard92

Post by pritchard92 »

Oh right.
By "something like", what do you mean? Is there anything spec-wise i should be looking out for?

thanks
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

Pop down to your local music shop and see what's on the shelf.
Get the right store clerk and you should come home with a decent audio interface. Something with 2 inputs, phantom power & as many bells and whistles as you can get.
Something between $150 - $250 should set you up nicely.
pritchard92

Post by pritchard92 »

Thanks alot for the replies.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
But I live on a scottish island in the middle of nowhere :(

But ill definately head to a music shop the next chance I get :)

Thanks
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

Hey! I'm from Airdrie.
Unfortunately, it will cost you twice as much.
What sells for $100 US or Canadian is usually about one hundred Pounds Sterling.
Search online for "Audio Interfaces" and read the reviews. That way at least you have a pretty good handle on things when you get to the mainland.
Cheers!
Jim
http://mixcraftlive.com/members/93/
JustOneOldMan

Post by JustOneOldMan »

Sweetwater is a US company, but they have a good selection of stuff to browse through. Check here for USB interfaces.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

It would give you an idea of what's available and what you might want to look for locally...
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

I needed one too and decided on either the Alesis Multimix 8USB or the Behringer Xenyn 1002FX. I chose the Behringer since I didn't need as many ports as I though and I didn't need USB after all, either. The Behringer should be coming in the mail soon. If you need USB, I would reccommend the Alesis, and if not, the Behringer.
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

Oh yeah, the Behringer is only about $90, and has 2 mic inputs and a couple insturmental ins, so it should work nicely for you.
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

You know, I have the Behringer Xenyth 1204 FX and it's a great mixer with excellent effects but I wouldn't say it's an ideal way to record with the computer.
An audio interface will do the work of your computer's soundcard plus giving you the options of Asio, Wave RT, Higher Bit Rate etc... That's what they're for..
The effects and mix are much better done with Mixcraft after recording than through the mixer, during the process.
You'll still get 2 channels at one time with the mixer but you will be limited in other ways.

Just my humble opinion.
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

Jim Lad wrote:You know, I have the Behringer Xenyth 1204 FX and it's a great mixer with excellent effects but I wouldn't say it's an ideal way to record with the computer.
An audio interface will do the work of your computer's soundcard plus giving you the options of Asio, Wave RT, Higher Bit Rate etc... That's what they're for..
The effects and mix are much better done with Mixcraft after recording than through the mixer, during the process.
You'll still get 2 channels at one time with the mixer but you will be limited in other ways.

Just my humble opinion.
Ok, thanks for the info! I'm still a newb, don't listen to me. :D
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

Not at all!
Behringer's a great tool to have but down the road you'd probably end up having to buy something else for recording.
pritchard92

Post by pritchard92 »

Thanks everyone.

Best.Forum.Ever!

Yeah, im liking the look of the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB alot. Looks like it will be perfect for the job.

Just one more thing.
Will this need a seperate amplifier?
I know that some mixers need seperate amplifiers, because the band im in had one a while back.

Thanks alot guys, your all awesome.

Pritchard92