Please Help Me!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

diecapsule

Please Help Me!

Post by diecapsule »

I just purchased a new computer with an Intel Quad Core 6600 and 3g of RAM, I downloaded the latest version of MixCraft 4 and everything went fine. Now for some reason when ever I try to save a track or project no matter how big or small I get an error message. I also get an error message every time I push any key on my PC keyboard. Also when I try to listen to the demo of the Bo Diddley diddy there is static, pops and cracks out the whazoo, I cant even make out what the song is. I never had any of these problems with the previous version, nor on my old PC which was a Compaq with only 784mb of RAM & much smaller processor.
I am planning on tweeking all the necessary adjustments once I get all my new programs downloaded and verified off of the Net. Will this help?
Also I just downloaded MOTU Electric Keys & Toontrack EZ Drummer. Both seem to be running fine through MixCraft, but could they have anything to do with these problems? Any replies would greatly appreciated!
Thanx in advance, Diecapsule
Just wanna make music
diecapsule

re

Post by diecapsule »

Just wanted to add that I am using XP Home SP 2.
Just wanna make music
Schprocket

Post by Schprocket »

I'm relatively new here myself but the old hands would probably start with:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio card.

2. Use low-latency ASIO drivers wherever possible.

3. Use the "Force Single CPU" under "Sound Device Preferences"
(from the manual: Force Single CPU

This will force the sound engine to use a single CPU for mixing audio. This is only applicable to machines with multiple CPUs, such as a Dual-core or Quad-core computer. If you have one CPU on your computer, this option will not be available. You can use this option for better compatibility with older VST effects and virtual instruments. )

My uneducated guess is that item 3 may sort you out but you really need to make sure that you have the first two sorted as well.
diecapsule

Post by diecapsule »

Thanks Schprocket, Im pretty new here too.
I had no idead about the whole "Force Single CPU" method. Shows how much I know.
What exactly does having this Quad Core Processor do for me if I cant use them? Could you explain how exactley this works? Will I still be able to utilize the full power of my Q6600 with this method? Also does anyone know much about overclocking and how beneficial it would be towards my DAW?
Just wanna make music
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Sometimes people use older vst effects and instruments that might not be able to run under multiple processors. The force single cpu would be for reasons like that. Mixcraft itself can and does take advantage of multiple processors.
Overclocking is a touchy thing, if you do not know what you are doing you are better off leaving it alone. I have blown up plenty-o-processors and boards while learning. Most cpu/ram/board combos won't overclock enough for you to really even notice anyway. I mean, it's not like you're going to turn a 2Ghz cpu into a 4Ghz cpu or something.
diecapsule

Post by diecapsule »

Thanks A. Eric, Idont think I'll mess with it then. I just got a little caught up in the whole forum thing with people talking about how they turned their q660 into a 4.1 gh cpu. Probably not for me though.
On another note do you know why MixCraft would be crashing every time I hit a key on my PC keyboard, or try to save?
THANX
Just wanna make music
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The next time that happens, quit the program and send us your log file. It's here:

C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 4\Mixcraft-log.txt

If you have Windows Vista, be sure to click the "Compatibility Files" option when you go to collect the log file, or it will probably be an old copy of the file.

Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file.

Greg