Yep, Got another recording type of question......

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

themetallord821

Yep, Got another recording type of question......

Post by themetallord821 »

Ok so as I mentioned I am recording my bands demo at home. I recorded the drums live in our rehearsal space with the drummer suing Mixcraft,then I did my guitar parts,the other guitar did his parts and now I am ready for the singer to record. I had tried running my Shure sm 58 mic into my POS X3 into Mixcraft but the results were not great. Not enough gain. Sooooo,I went back to my failsafe method...recording the vocals using my Boss BR-1180 Digital workstation. But since the Boss has no USB,I just took the drum track in Mixcraft,saved as an MP3 and imported into the Boss.This way I also redid the guitars while we did the vocals last night.I did 2 separate mixdowns,one with vocals and then just only the vocal tracks so I can put it in Mixcraft and master the vocals better.All was well.......but my dilemma now is this:
When I go into Mixcraft and I open my MP3 of the drums & guitar tracks, it ask me if I want to change the tempo to match. Then when I add the sep vocal track,it's not in time with the music.Seems slower. I cant move the track to match the music,it didnt work out that way. Should I not choose Beatmatch or am I missing some step? I know this is an unusual way to record but it's the only way I get great results for vocals. Any help is always appreciated.
Last edited by themetallord821 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
JustOneOldMan

Post by JustOneOldMan »

There's an option under the Sound tab for each sound where you can either adjust the sound to the project tempo or set it to the original tempo (or change it completely). Might be a combination of changing the project tempo to match the first sound you insert, then the other sounds being automtically adjusted. Click once on each sound you insert, then click on the Sound tab and check that setting.

Might not be it, just a thought...
themetallord821

That maybe it but every time I open a new project to insert a sound,a box will pop up and say " The sound is in a different tempo than your project.For the very best in sound quality , would you like to change your project tempo to match the sounds? Swith to a tempo of ___ bpm?"

I answered yes and it messes things up....I also answered no and the tempos were all off. I am thinking it has something to do with this? I am sure it must be some kind of setting,it shouldnt be this difficult to match them since they were both the same tempo to start with. :shock:
JustOneOldMan

Post by JustOneOldMan »

Unless you get lucky and your default project tempo is exactly the same as the first sound you insert, you'll always get that pop-up. I always answer yes to that prompt (well, almost always, depends on a few things).

After that, if the next sound you insert was originally the same tempo as the first sound you should be able to drop it into another track with the correct timing - but as I said, you may have to change the option in the Sound tab from "Adjust to Project Tempo" to "Time Stretch By" (or the other way around) on the second sound. One of those should do it.

If that's not it, maybe you could post your two tracks somewhere for someone to check out. Can't think of anything else, maybe one of the Mixcraft pros here can...
themetallord821

Thanks I wil try that out tonight and see if that does it. Thanks. :D
themetallord821

Got it.I'm good now.Thanks for the replies. :shock:
JustOneOldMan

Post by JustOneOldMan »

themetallord821 wrote:Got it.I'm good now.Thanks for the replies. :shock:
No problem, glad you got it...