Audio Interface versus Mixer with USB or Firewire port

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rssii

Audio Interface versus Mixer with USB or Firewire port

Post by rssii »

All,

Tried to search the forums for an answer to this, but there's too much info out there and it made my head hurt. :wink:

Background: I am a solo guitarist that uses Mixcraft for composing my own songs. Currently I use a Roland GR-20 synth with analog outputs and midi, and a Digitech GNX4 workstation with analog outputs, USB and midi. I also use a Vox Valvetronix amp with an analog headphone/line out jack. I run Mixcraft on a P4 3.2GHz PC running XP SP3 with an Audigy 2 soundcard. Right now I run USB to the PC for the GNX, and analog into the soundcard for the GR-20 and Vox. When I want to switch the analog source going to the soundcard, I have to switch cables. Ideally I would like to have everything digital and permanently hooked up to the computer so I don't have to switch cables all the time. I would also like to drive the midi on the GNX and GR-20. Currently I don't think I have a need to do offboard mixdown of input signals going into Mixcraft, because I only record one source at a time.

Question: Would an audio interface with USB or Firewire work for my situation, or should I opt for an 8- or 12-channel mixer with USB or Firewire? If so, is there any speed/capability advantage to Firewire vs. USB? Also, any suggestions on quality brands to go with for interfaces or mixers?

Thanks for your help and insights
Rob
Albuquerque, NM
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

I'd go for the audio interface with either USB or Firewire.
It's simple, less wires and leaves more time for the creative process.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

rssii wrote:Question: Would an audio interface with USB or Firewire work for my situation, or should I opt for an 8- or 12-channel mixer with USB or Firewire? If so, is there any speed/capability advantage to Firewire vs. USB? Also, any suggestions on quality brands to go with for interfaces or mixers?
A capable USB audio interface would work. By capable I mean that it has midi and analog inputs. Whether you get a mixer or not is up to you. The only advantage that I see with a mixer is that you could add and control more than one analog instrument without having to "switch cables." You would still need a midi capable interface.

Look at this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US122L/

The advantage of Firewire rather than USB is that Firewire can carry more simultaneous digital audio channels than USB. With the right interface USB 2.0 can carry 8 channels of digital audio at 24-bit/44.1kHz while Firewire can carry 32 in and 32 out at 24-bit/48kHz. It's bandwidth.

BTW, switching cables comes with the territory. Sound Technician = Cable Jockey. :) I assume that you just want to make it easier to switch cables than it is for you right now.
*Vibrant Audio*