MIDI TROUBLE: Track length messed up after recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Perseus

MIDI TROUBLE: Track length messed up after recording

Post by Perseus »

Hi,

I have a strange problem. After recording a virtual instrument sound for 1 second and finishing recording, I hear a strange noise, "VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!", and suddenly the 1 second track is expanded by Mixcraft to a 2 minute track, and the 1 second piano is waaaaaaaaaay at the end of the track.

I have NO clue what to do about this; I've gone through help files, Troubleshooting, FAQ, Forum, but nothing.

I have a SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer sound card, an E-MU 49 Xboard MIDI keyboard, Mixcraft 4 build 98.

Settings are on ASIO. Whenever I set it to WAVE and try to record something, Mixcraft freezes.

Any ideas? I'm at an end here

Rgrds,
P
Last edited by Perseus on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

Maybe change the heading to something like. "Trouble with midi".
One of the experts here is bound to jump in.
In the meantime you could reinstall Mixcraft.
Cheers!
Jim
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Done that

Also reinstalled Mixcraft (2 times), updated sound card driver, reinstalled Mixcraft, to no avail.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Why are you trying to record a one second track? What happens if you record a five second track? Does it only occur with one second tracks?

You could record a longer track and then trim it down.

You can also try it with the latest version of Mixcraft, which is version 4.2 build 100 as of this posting.

Greg
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

That didn't work and frankly, I'm growing tired of the continuous problems with this program.

No, it happens to tracks of any length. I record 3 seconds of sound, and it results in a 7 minute track which is completely empty after I stop recording. I record 4 seconds of sound, and I end up with a 9 minute track, which is completely empty, save for the recorded sound which Mixcraft puts all the way at the end of the 9 minute track.

Tinkering with the latency doesn't solve anything, neither does setting Mixcraft to use Wave instead of ASIO. (Setting it to Wave causes Mixcraft to crash, by the way.)

Just to ensure that I'm not a complete idiot, and to ensure that my PC's hard- and software is functioning properly, I installed Ableton Live 4.1, that came with my MIDI keyboard.

THAT PROGRAM RECORDS JUST FINE.

So it's not my MIDI keyboard, it's not my pc, it's not my Windows install, it's Mixcraft.

I'm getting dangerously close to demanding a refund.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

I don't want to add insult to injury, but I downloaded a trial version of Steinberg's Sequel 2, and recording MIDI also works like a charm in that program as well. True plug 'n' play.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I was going to say that there's only one other person I know of with this problem, but you are that person.

For others reading this, we've been corresponding via support ticket email.

Perseus, let's see what we come up with in or correspondence and then we can post the results here.

Greg
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Still no results, eh Greg?

I think I'll be filing for that refund now.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Well I just replied to your most recent support ticket in which you wrote that wave recording is not working now. There appears to be some kind of conflict between your audio drivers or some other memory resident software on your computer and Mixcraft. Of course you are welcome to request a refund (we have a 30 day refund policy).

Greg