laptop for Mix craft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ron-e-g

laptop for Mix craft?

Post by ron-e-g »

Hello, I'm going to update my recording PC to a laptop. With this set-up I can be more mobile. I use Tone Port ux2 for the interface. For the DAW of course Mix craft. Currently I use a dell standard issue 2350 model, It uses , a Pentium 4 CPU 1.99 GHz . I updated the ram to 1 Gig (max) also it has a 40 Gig hard drive that spins at 7200 rpm. I can't these days get the program to play clear without drop-out and freezing up with as little as 5 tracks recorded and 12 effects running simultaneously.!

So my hope is for advise as to what would be the most practical laptop configuration. I think 3 Gig of memory (as the 32 bit Windows OS can't use any more) Windows XP home or media or professional. Although I have heard soon Windows will stop servicing XP. I don't know if the duo core processor's are better than the Pentium 4's a big screen and fast hard drive (7200rpm). and of course price is always a issue. I think my budget has room for a great unit though. (max $1100)

So these are my facts and my thoughts.
I would greatly appreciate any response and help anyone could offer.

Thank You, Ron
"The Older I Get The Better I Was!"
gigazaga

Post by gigazaga »

The modern processors are good for audio but make sure to stay away from XP Media Center. It is a nightmare for recording. XP Home and XP Pro are much better choices.

You current computer should do better than 5 tracks. You might try disabling WiFi while recording if have it on. WiFi is very disruptive to recording on many Dell laptops.
Gigazaga
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

I have a Compaq laptop with 2 Ghz processor, an 2 GB or RAM. (And Vista, surprise surprise!) it runs 15+ tracks no problem, with no noticable latency.
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

gigazaga, Thanks for you're response.

ro1000, I thank you also.

I have decided to go with a Alienware 51m 7700. It boast a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 HT processor, 4 GB of ram, And (2) 7200 rpm Raid 160 GB Hard drives. And a 17" screen. It operates on Windows XP Home. If this don't do it I don't what will!
gigazaga

Post by gigazaga »

I would love to hear back about how it works out for you!
Gigazaga
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

gigazaga, Promise to keep you informed. BTW I contacted Acoustica to ask about running copy's of MC on different CPU's and they were great as usual!. Man these guys are the greatest!!! and the program pound for pound the very best.