Getting a good guitar signal and monitoring with no latency

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Bimple

Getting a good guitar signal and monitoring with no latency

Post by Bimple »

What is the best way to get a good guitar signal in to mixcraft? I have a Behringer UCA200 usb input device, and I use that to record the main tracks from my sequencer, but when I go to overdub the tracks I hear a latency. I installed the ASIO drivers, but they don't work well on my dinosaur of a computer setup.

the signal from the amp is really soft unless I really crank it, but then I cant hear the backing tracks on the puter while recording, and if I turn up the backing tracks it gets all distorted and impossible to play to.

I have been using the output from the UCA200 to go in to another amp to monitor the guitar input while I listen to the main tracks on my computer speakers, and that works, but I was hoping to find a better way.
Last edited by Bimple on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

In order to get a quality end product, you have to start with a quality source. In other words, if your signal on the amp you are playing through is too low, your recorded track will also be too low, or sound bad, have hiss, etc etc. Turn up the amp.
Connect your speaker output on the computer to a better set of speakers, or better yet, a mixing board with some studio speakers or headphones connected. In any case, you are going to have to to turn up the amp, and get a louder set of speakers playing the existing tracks.
Latency is an issue with most setups I have encountered, especially with older computers. Monitoring your incoming signal will almost always be a problem with latency, it is much better and less of a hassle to turn off monitoring and simply listen to your amp.
The only time i have seen absolute zero latency is with the M-Audio Delta 1010LT or Delta 44 PCI sound cards.
dejavue56

Re: Getting a good guitar signal and monitoring with no late

Post by dejavue56 »

I found that using a external mixer with adequate capabilites is the best way to have zero latency monitoring while recording.

So I use my mixer to select my source and send it digitally to PC for recording in Mixcraft. Separately I can have the PC doing a stereo playback to the mixer of an existing track, then combine the two in the mixer and feed it to monitors or headphones via control room output. The Mixer Main output only has the recorded channel on it. So your mixer needs a digital PC interface (SPDIF, USB2.0 or FIREWIRE) and it needs to have a control room channel.

This way you do not have to check the MONITOR box on your PC during recording. That causes many problems-feedback and latency.
http://www.theblueridgeband.com
Digitech RP350
Alesis MM12 Firewire Mixer
Mixcraft 4
strat, LP goldtop, Washburn AE.