How access Extra Boy

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jpt

How access Extra Boy

Post by jpt »

Okay, I've paid my $0.99 and now I can't figure how to get Extra Boy on to Mixcraft. The Mixcraft directions aren't very clear. The short of it is that I load a song and use the drop down box but no Extra Boy. Can someone help? I only have 24 hours on this link to Extra Boy and I really don't want to have to upload a new one.

Thanks.
jpt

Post by jpt »

Well, my link to Extra Boy expires in like ten hours.

tick...tick...tick...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Unzip the Extra Boy dll file and place it in your Acoustica Mixcraft folder, which is probably in your Program Files folder. This will make the plugin appear in Mixcraft after you restart Mixcraft.

Greg
jpt

Post by jpt »

I get a message "this type of file not supported" from Mixcraft. :(
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Don't try to put the unzipped Extra Boy plugin .dll into Mixcraft itself, put it into your "Acoustica Shared Effects" folder, which is inside your Program Files folder.

Greg
jpt

Post by jpt »

Hey, thanks for trying. I don't see a file called "Acoustica Shared Effects" though. I've tried a hundred ways and nothing works. I'm done trying. It was $0.99 well spent. I now know not to mess with any software that tries to get by on the cheap by guiding users to a forum for instructions rather than printing plain words on a web site, etc.

No hard feelings as I like my Mixcraft. But you guys really need to spend a few bucks on good instructions.
teljax

Post by teljax »

I never found that folder either. whai i did was make a folder and named it vst i put all .dll files in there and mixcraft has had no trouble finding them. hope that helps. i use that same software but didnt pay anything for it.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

When you install Mixcraft, Beatcraft, Spin It Again, and others, you get a folder created at C:\Program Files\Acoustica Shared Effects

UNZIP the downloaded extraboy plug-in by right clicking it and choosing "extract all", next>next>finish.
It should open the extracted folder and you will see the extraboy file in there, it is called a dll file because it's file extension is .dll
Just like an mp3 file is .mp3
Right click on the dll file and choose copy, then go to the above mentioned C:\Program Files\Acoustica Shared Effects folder and paste the dll file inside this folder.

When you open mixcraft, extraboy will be in the FX menu of each track.

You just need to learn how to unzip and place files in the correct

directories. The plug-in works fine with Mixcraft.

Let me know if you can't get it done and I will create a short video tutorial for you.

Here is a quick trick, click start at the bottom left of your computer screen, then click run, then paste or type this in
C:\Program Files\Acoustica Shared Effects
Then click ok, it will open the folder, then you can just paste the dll file in there and close it.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Hmmm-

Let me get this straight. jpt is upset with Acoustica because some other companies software (Extra Boy) fails to install. LOL

Ya, OK...
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Well, we do link to it as a recommended plug-in, so a lot of people think it is an Acoustica product.
We are more than willing to help him if he would just come back to the forum or send in a support request.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The creator of Extra Boy started charging 90 cents for downloads (as a bandwidth fee) because so many of our customers were downloading the free plugin.
Gman

Post by Gman »

jpt wrote: I now know not to mess with any software that tries to get by on the cheap by guiding users to a forum for instructions rather than printing plain words on a web site, etc.
I never needed to look, but now that I did, I'm not sure how much more obvious Acoustica can make it. Right on the main Mixcraft page the link reads "VST & DirectX Effect Plug Ins". Which brings you to-

Important Note: To install a VST effect, simply put it in your VST folder.

If you don't know where your VST folder is, then simply create a new folder and then go into the Preferences of Mixcraft, Spin It Again, or Beatcraft and on the Miscellaneous tab click "Edit VST Effect Folders..." Then add the new VST folder that you created and restart the software. (VST effects are .DLLs and they should be put in your VST folder.)

Again- Hmmm...\
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The tricky part is that you have to unzip it, and some people are not familiar with the concept.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Good point. I take that as a given, but you are correct.

BTW-
Do you have any experience running Mixcraft on lighter hardware than a PIII 700 that is stated as minimum hardware? You've got me thinking about my old laptop, but it is an old AMD K6-2 400 with 192 MB, so I am doubtful. But, I would only need to record 2-4 tracks for the application I am considering.

Your thoughts?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I have ran it on a p2 with 128MB ram. You might get choppy results as you add tracks and effects. But initially it will work ok.