Issues with Recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

justin

Issues with Recording

Post by justin »

I seem to be having an issue with recording.

This only seems to have started since I got a (relatively) new computer - I did not have any issues with my old machine/setup. I am currently working on an HP Pavilion a1547c, Recording and playback both seem to work without any lag or glitches and everything seems to run smoothly - except when I playback what I've recorded (in this case an accoustic guitar running through a pick-up, into a mixing board, then through the mic input on the on board sound card) sounds as though it has a phaser effect on it. I'm not certain it's my soundcard as I use my headphones as a monitor and everything seems to sound just fine. I don't think for certain it's a playback issue because when I import an audio file it also seems to sound fine. Hence - I'm thinkin' it's a recording thing.

Any suggestions to get rid of the phaser/tremolo type sound I'm experiencing? Thanks, Justin

Justin
Justin
justin

Post by justin »

...also noteable - it's not just the guitar experiencing this... I've tried a microphone through my sound board - as well as both the guitar and the mic plugged directly into the computer.

My midi Keyboard is not experiencing an issue via the midi in.
Justin
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

running through a pick-up, into a mixing board, then through the mic input on the on board sound card
Shouldn't that be going to Line in as opposed to Mic in?
I presume you're using the mixer for its preamps?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Does this transfer to the rendered files? I mean if you mix down to an mp3, is the odd sound still there when played back through say winamp or windows media player? How about on a different pc?
justin

Post by justin »

yes - I thought maybe it was just the playback through mixcraft as once upon a time I had issues with it not playing through the rear speakers on my old machine - I tried to mix down to an mp3 and it does still sound odd. Also - I tried plugging the mixing board into my laptop and installed mixcraft on it - the sound is normal and works great...

And yes - it runs through the mixing board and I found that the line in didn't work so great with the board that I have, The board is a pre-amp and the line in doesn't seem to get 'loud' enough for recording so I use the mic in where I can bring up the volume up high enough. That being said - I do not use the mic boost option, it's just straight in. and, on that note - while reading this I tried for kicks to plug into the line in, although it is quieter the sound is still no working properly. I've also noticed that as it does have a bit of a phaser effect to it, it also seems to not 'hold' notes for me... ie. when I strum a G, a D, and a C - you'll here the g, you won't hear the bass on the d or the c. I can record and send a sample if my babbling doesn't make any sense to you...
Justin