Effects Not Working via Behringer VX2496 Mic Preamp

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rf3107

Post by rf3107 »

Hi Gman,

Assume you have a stereo microphone.

How did you go with a stereo mic plugged into a preamp then into a soundcard and did the effects work in Mixcraft?.
rf3107
rf3107

Post by rf3107 »

Have ordered the Monster iStudioLink Cable Adapter, 1/4" Mono (Female) to 1/8" Stereo Mini-Plug (Male).

Expect delivery in 2 weeks. Will test and post results.
rf3107
Gman

Post by Gman »

It's been awhile since I used stereo mics, and don't have one now. Back then, they had two XLR connectors on their cable and I used them on a mixer. Each channel I plugged them into was panned either left or right to match which side of the mic it came from. I'm not sure what connectors are on each of the mics I referenced, but the Nady can be converted to a stereo 1/8 plug. I don't know if the mic jacks on sound cards are stereo or not, but it cannot be plugged into the stereo line-in of a sound card. (Line-in is high-Z, mics are low-Z).

Basically, I think a stereo mic would be very difficult to use without a mixer.
rf3107

Post by rf3107 »

For the last few weeks I have been consulting my issues with several sound engineers.
The adapters mentioned previously do not work because the XLR balanced output circuit is not complete. Effects will not work, donÆt waste your time as I did, going through the pain.

Solution:
Microphone input to preamp (Behringer VX2496) and output XLR to XLR Behringer mixer (Eurorack UB502), then output to soundcard (line in) with an adapter of 1/8ö plug.
Recording Settings û Channel = MONO.
Effects work perfectly.

Further and better solution is to purchase soundcards with XLR with 1/4 sockets mic inputs.
Consider the following:

M-Audio Delta 1010LT
M-Audio Delta 44
M-Audio Firewire 410.
M-Audio Firewire Solo

I have purchased the M-Audio Firewire 410 as it has excellent reviews and the process is generated outside the PC (less hum & distortion). ItÆs portable and save a PCI slot.

BTW - No problems with Mono or Stereo Mics as the XLR or 1/4" sockets are avaliable. It's been going great!.
rf3107
voiceoverallen

glad you got it working...

Post by voiceoverallen »

Just found this forum and I hate to resurrect a dead thread...but...

I'm glad you got it working. I have the VX2496 as well and I run a Lawson L47FET mic into it and get very good results :) Sorry to see you had so much trouble getting it going.

My audio chain:
INPUT: Lawson mic > VX2496 > UB802 mixer > Echo Mia audio card
OUTPUT: Echo Mia > UB502 mixer > Truth B2031A monitors

Also, I run the MAIN out of the mic pre into the mixer, then mixer MAIN out to the Echo Mia card. Works great 8)

I monitor through Sennheiser headphones from the UB802 inside the booth. I record with Sound Forge and all effects plug-ins work flawlessly.

Thanks,
Allen

--
Allen Scofield - Voice For All Media
http://www.voiceoverallen.com