interference

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

interference

Post by kr236rk »

Hi

this post follows on from this one but is of a different issue:

http://demon.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopi ... highlight=

i recorded something the other day which came out great - using FastTrack interface with Wave drivers 'in' and 'out'.

tonight i plugged my guitar and amp into this set-up and got nasty clicks whenever the volume went into the medium register. i tested the phones on the amp and no problem. anyway i unplugged the amp and plugged guitar direct into FastTrack, the interface between me and MixCraft. Sounded kinda quiet but ok - but when i played back the audio file as a WAV file one channel (of two) had massive interference on it

basically my set-up has gone haywire after some 'helpful person' (nothing to do with this forum) enthused me to load up on asio-4-all drivers, which i spent a day deleting ~ but it seems there are still gremlins aplenty and i can't even record a simple double track at the moment :cry:

help appreciated

thanks

Ric
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you tried the ASIO drivers that come with that device? Make sure you've got the latest ones from M-Audio.

You can also try plugging into a different USB port.

One customer was getting interference from having a microphone too close to a flat screen monitor. So look at the electrical path and what devices are close to one another.

Greg
kr236rk

Fast? Track

Post by kr236rk »

downloaded the latest drivers last night - am starting to go round in smaller and smaller circles, this interface is not easy to use, it is not a 'fast' track to anywhere, everytime i want to use it it takes me days to get the thing set up properly which is a fantastic waste of time, every time there is a new issue, wrong mic, wrong leads, wrong drivers, wrong settings: am rapidly approaching FT melt down ...

sorry about the moan but i have been using FT for years and it gets no easier

R
kr236rk

glitches

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Have you tried the ASIO drivers that come with that device? Make sure you've got the latest ones from M-Audio.

You can also try plugging into a different USB port.

One customer was getting interference from having a microphone too close to a flat screen monitor. So look at the electrical path and what devices are close to one another.

Greg
just deleted and redownloaded the latest M-Audio driver - whether i switch to ASIO or WAV makes no difference and that is also true for the default soundcard on the XP (ever since TBIA showed up) now, so i have MixCraft installed and can't use it

are any interfaces going to be imune from the driver blues? i doubt it, devices have new drivers authored by manufacturers and users are generally the last people to know about it: first thing you know your device isn't working anymore, need a new driver, okay, but how many times can a pc handle this driver game before it ties itself in a knot - which appears to be the fate of my XP?

am seriously considering an independent multitracker which will not be blighted by outdated or conflicting drivers / softwares - i cannot see a real future in pc audio studio's if so much time is spent in hunting for solutions to technical glitches?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One thread seemed ti indicate that you can get that TBIA error if you are using the Fast Track on a different USB port than the one to which you originally installed it.

One user said he had success uninstalling the drivers and then installing them again, using this method.

Greg
kr236rk

alternatives?

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

One thread seemed ti indicate that you can get that TBIA error if you are using the Fast Track on a different USB port than the one to which you originally installed it.

One user said he had success uninstalling the drivers and then installing them again, using this method.

Greg
think i tried this, Greg - went right through Device Manager and so forth ... in fact the M-Audio default driver was older than the updated one i already had on the XP and overwrote it - still didn't improve anything although i had great hopes after going through all that procedure

still want to use MixCraft because i really like this software but i am just going to have to figure out another way to approach my recording - something more 'stand alone' which isn't so at the mercy of drivers and program conflicts.

Ric
kr236rk

update: latency levels?

Post by kr236rk »

did a complete uninstall/re-install of FastTrack USB which has cleansed the background interference in MixCraft 4 :)

it is the new (Nov 2009) FT driver which triggers the TBIA warning message though thankfully TBIA - whatever it is - does not seem to interfere with the recording?

still a lot of crackling on the instrumentation so i hiked the latency to mid high from mid low, this definitely helped if i recorded at medium to low levels

is there a down side to using high latency though?

thanks

Ric
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

The only time latency really causes a problem is when people try to hear what they are playing back in real time. But in your case you are recording a guitar and you can hear it externally from the computer speakers right?

The other scenario where latency plays a part is midi controllers, they are controlling a virtual instrument within Mixcraft and therefor they have to be heard in real time through the computer speakers. If latency is high, then naturally it makes recording with a midi controller just about impossible.
kr236rk

Re: re

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Eric wrote:The only time latency really causes a problem is when people try to hear what they are playing back in real time. But in your case you are recording a guitar and you can hear it externally from the computer speakers right?
thanks: am using headphones into FastTrack and dub-mixing along with a primary track recorded earlier in MC4
The other scenario where latency plays a part is midi controllers, they are controlling a virtual instrument within Mixcraft and therefor they have to be heard in real time through the computer speakers. If latency is high, then naturally it makes recording with a midi controller just about impossible.
not using midi at all - i don't really understand how latency works - does it mean 'late signal' for example?

the only mega problem i had with delay was using the FT/MC4 set-up on a Vista where a manual electronic drum pad track had about 0.25 seconds delay on it and might have been caused by the wrong or outdated driver, the result was pretty awful, i haven't repeated the experiment on Vista in case it was the o/s at fault?

thanks again

Ric
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes latency is a delay in signal processing.
I don't use much midi either so it really doesn't matter to me, but a lot of users try to use the computer to monitor what they are playing in real time, and unless you have a professional sound card which is made for zero latency, it's just not going to work well.

In your case, your interface has inputs and outputs, so there is no delay since the signal goes in and right back out of the same piece of hardware, the computer never touches it.
kr236rk

Re: latency

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Yes latency is a delay in signal processing.
I don't use much midi either so it really doesn't matter to me, but a lot of users try to use the computer to monitor what they are playing in real time, and unless you have a professional sound card which is made for zero latency, it's just not going to work well.

In your case, your interface has inputs and outputs, so there is no delay since the signal goes in and right back out of the same piece of hardware, the computer never touches it.
sounds cool. i'm about to do a FT re-install on the Vista - be useful to see if the drum latency glitch has resolved itself. if not it means upgrading to Win7 [sigh]

thanks

Ric
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yeah, there is never a time when an OS change is easy, but getting away from vista can only be a good thing in the long run. I would actually upgrade to XP, but that's your call :-)
kr236rk

Re: re

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Yeah, there is never a time when an OS change is easy, but getting away from vista can only be a good thing in the long run. I would actually upgrade to XP, but that's your call :-)
thanks. well, i already have a stable XP (thank goodness) so i guess it's got to be Win7

whay a rip off though - everyone who ended up with Vista ought to be given a free upgrade to Win7

will update on the drums thing

Ric