Acronis ROCKS

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

Acronis ROCKS

Post by clavguy »

I read in a different post that Eric uses Acronis... I do too... and it ROCKS.

I use it to back up my "system" separately from my "data". When I back up the data, I always use "full back up" and not "incremental". That way, any computer that I have the Acronis software intalled on, "sees" the back up as just another folder on my external back up drive. That makes it easy to just "go get" a previous project without going through the full restore process....

Obviously, that can't be done with the system back up... If the system crashes... a "restore" needs to be done and not just a go get the stuff.

Regards
Pierre (CG) 8)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Glad to hear you are using it, it's a lifesaver.
Actually, all you need is an incremental of your entire system, that way it updates the backup each time it runs rather than creating an entire new one which takes up tons of space on the backup drive. You can actually browse the full backup as if it were a folder in explorer too if you need to extract files or folders.
Anyone NOT using a backup solution such as Acronis is at risk of losing their work IMO.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Acronis ROCKS

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Not too often you see spam going back 10 years.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Not often do you see a spammer reply either!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tana Edwards

Post by Tana Edwards »

Hi clavguy,
May I ask which version of acronis you use?
It sounds like a good solution but when I took a look on trustpilot I was shocked by the negative reviews.
It really takes a pasting!
I can't imagine Eric recommending a lemon either.

Thanks, T.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Any reliable Backup imaging software is great (and strongly recommended) for every PC user. I'd say it's easily the most indispensable software on my system.

In fact, I've been relying on software imaging apps for a longtime (about 20 years). I started with Norton Ghost, moved to Acronis True Image... until I tried out a few free utilities -- and to my surprise they all worked great. The one I settled on is Macrium Reflect. It backups and restores system images flawlessly and, oh yeah, it's FREE. (There's a paid-for version if you need advanced functionality like customized data backup/restore).

This is not a knock on Acronis. If the free ones weren't reliable I'd go back in a heartbeat.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

JonInc wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:16 am ..... The one I settled on is Macrium Reflect. It backups and restores system images flawlessly and, oh yeah, it's FREE....
I just want to add that, whatever you use, you should verify that a backup solution actually works (assuming you have a desktop and capability to temporarily swap out the boot drive). I switched to Macronis when I decided to test my last image solution, and it failed to restore or boot. It IS a hassle, but you should know that your backup will be there when you need it!
Homebrew MSI Ryzen 3700x 32G RAM 4.5 Ghz, Win 10 Pro 22H2, Focusrite 2i2/3, Mixcraft Pro 10.x, Studio One 6.x, everything 64 bit only unless not supported.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

BrianL wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:02 pm
JonInc wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:16 am ..... The one I settled on is Macrium Reflect. It backups and restores system images flawlessly and, oh yeah, it's FREE....
I just want to add that, whatever you use, you should verify that a backup solution actually works (assuming you have a desktop and capability to temporarily swap out the boot drive). I switched to Macronis when I decided to test my last image solution, and it failed to restore or boot. It IS a hassle, but you should know that your backup will be there when you need it!
In the last two years, I've backed up/restored with Macrium at least eight times, on Win 8.1 and Win 10. For me, it just works. Of course, it helps that I have had a lot of practice with system imaging. For 20+ years, in corporate IT, implementing it literally on hundreds of systems. I learned a long time ago NOT to run it from the O.S. and instead boot from media like DVD or thumb drive. With that method I have NEVER had a failed restore.