RECORDING PROBLEMS

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

nathaissa

RECORDING PROBLEMS

Post by nathaissa »

HOW'S IT GOING GUYS. I'VE GOT A PROBLEM AND HOPE YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT HERE. I'M RECORDING WITH MIX CRAFT AND FOR SOME REASON AFTER GETTING TO LIKE THE 8TH OR 9TH TRACK THE RECORDING STARTS TO SKIP AND SLOW DOWN. IT SOUNDS LIKE IF THERES NOT ENOUGH ROOM FOR ANY MORE TRACKS. COULD IT BE THAT MAYBE I NEED MORE POWER OUT OF MY COMPUTER TO HANDLE MORE? AND IF SO WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED SIZE TO FIT WHAT I WANT TO DO. I WOULD NEED SOMETHING THAT CAN LET ME RECORD AT LEAST 16 TRACKS. I'M IN DIRE NEED OF ANSWERS. I'VE GOT A BIG PROJECT COMMING UP AND I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM RESOLVED SOON. I'LL APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS CAN GIVE THANKS.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I can't read this, it's all in caps!!!!!!!!!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Make sure you've got plenty of free hard drive space and quit any unnecessary programs that might be running in the background.

You can also try this:

In Mixcraft, click on the File menu and select Preferences. On the Playback tab, click on the Playback Device setting and choose the driver for your sound card. Do not choose "Default Sound Device" or any other option aside from your specific sound card's driver.

Greg
nathaissa

Post by nathaissa »

OK. I'll try that today. on this computer I only have mix craft and beat craft. I don't run internet at all or any other programs. It's just specifically for recording. I'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks.
Gman

Post by Gman »

What are your computer specs?

How many effects are you running on each channel?
nathaissa

Post by nathaissa »

I'll get back to you on the specs but as effects I don't use too many per track. I'm also noticing that when i'm recording on beat craft it's skipping also. Like it stutters and then keeps going. The effects I have been using are the ones available to me thru beat and mix craft. I don't use more than 2 per track. Now I am using the UB1204 FX PRO Behringer mixer I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
Gman

Post by Gman »

It sounds like your computer is struggling to keep up and that is why I asked. The more effects, the more processing power is required. When I pitch shift 3-4 channels at once I get these symptoms, but pitch shifting is extremely CPU intensive.

And no, the mixer should not have any effect on things. Many of us use Behringer mixers with excellent results.
nathaissa

Post by nathaissa »

So then i need to get a bigger tower that can handle al this? I can get one with no problem if that would solve the problem. thanks for your help I really appreciate it. Let me know please. I won't be able to read any other info till tomorrow. Thanks
Gman

Post by Gman »

What operating system are you using (WinME, Win2K, WinXP)? All of them have performance monitors that you can bring up and leave running so you can see if you have maxed out the CPU when recording or if it is something else.

What CPU, its speed and amount of memory would help us also.
nathaissa

NEW UPGRADE

Post by nathaissa »

How is it going guys. To the prior question that I had before about my tracks slowing down, I finally purchased a new system. Got a 512 memory which now you can tell the difference and I don't have that problem anymore. I've been using Beatcraft and works great. But I had a friend of mine install the mixcraft software and now I can't seem to have it working right. If I go straight in to the computer in the sound card which is a Dinnex if I'm not mistaken I can hear the guitar thru the speakers but only thru one side. If I try using the pan control nothing happens nor the effects. Could it be the set up is wrong that something didn't get activated? Could someone give some steps to configure this right please? Thank you
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The guitar is putting out a mono signal, and that's why it's just showing up in the left channel. This is normal. Just set your recording properties to record mono (File Menu > Preferences > Recording). You can then use the resulting mono recording in your stereo mix, panning it left or right (or leaving it in the center) as needed.

Greg