Sometimes notes won't play in successive clips

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andrewthomas100

Sometimes notes won't play in successive clips

Post by andrewthomas100 »

I surely can't be the only person who has noticed this apparent bug in Mixcraft 5 (and 4). Sometimes when two clips are next to each other, notes in the second clip will not play. Here is a project file which shows the problem:

http://www.ipod.org.uk/Bug.rar

In this example, the second clip does not play, so the sound just fades over the second clip. (All I did to create this was to copy the first clip and paste it again - nothing special, but the second clip won't play!)

In the next example, I put a tiny gap in between the two clips so the second clip now plays OK (this is the only way I can fix it):

http://www.ipod.org.uk/OK.rar

Surely I am not the only one to have noticed this serious bug? Is my system screwed-up?

Thanks a lot,

Andrew Thomas.
Last edited by andrewthomas100 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raidx

Post by Raidx »

same thing happens when i play your file on my mixcraft... so no, you are not crazy and your system should be ok :P
andrewthomas100

Thanks! I've noticed this for ages and just thought "It must be me". I can't imagine how this bug has slipped through for so long.
andrewthomas100

It seems to me that if two notes are "touching" each other (i.e., next to each other, but not overlapping) over the join in successive clips then the second note does not play. This seems like a quite extraordinary bug!
Raidx

Post by Raidx »

Any explanation for that bug yet??
andrewthomas100

No, which is strange. It seems like a huge bug, but no one seems to notice. :( It would be nice if the guys at Mixcraft would acknowledge the bug. This is a big deal.
cypher79

Post by cypher79 »

yeah ive noticed this too

i got around it by zooming right in on the piano roll and making a tiny gap between the notes
andrewthomas100

Yeah, I do that too. It's annoying, though. Really shouldn't have to do that. I'm fed up with it.

Come on, Mixcraft guys. Acknowledge the bug!
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

I'm glad i found people with the same problem as me. Too bad there's no answer from the Acoustica team, but i would really like this to be fixed in MC6! It's really annoying.

I use a lot of copy-paste with my clips, mainly when i create drum tracks, so i always have to zoom in and make a tiny gap as you guys said.

:cry:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm guessing that this has to do with a "note off" MIDI command overriding the "note on" command from the next clip. We'll look into this, thanks for reporting it!

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I just tried to duplicate this problem and I wasn't able to do it. How are you guys reproducing this? I made an instrument clip with a couple of whole notes, then copied the clip. That seems to work fine.

Are the clips overlapping slightly? If they are overlapping, the "note off" from the first clip will turn off the "note on" at the beginning of the second clip.

Greg
andrewthomas100

Hi Greg, Here is another project file which has two whole-note instrument clips (like you tried). The second clip does not play:

http://www.ipod.org.uk/broken.rar

No, the clips are not overlapping at all. They are just touching.
Last edited by andrewthomas100 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, I can reproduce the problem with your clips in that one project, but I can't reproduce it if I try on my own. How were those clips created? If you try to reproduce those clips in Mixcraft 5.2 build 152, does the same thing happen?

Greg
andrewthomas100

I haven't got 5.2, only 5.1. Do you want me to try 5.2?

I didn't do anything strange to record those clips. I just recorded one bar and copied it "Snap to measure".

Thanks a lot for looking at it.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes please update to the latest build.

I opened your project and noticed that if I move the second clip away and then put it back exactly where it was, it works.
You can do this by setting snap to 1/16
So, I don't need a tiny gap, just move it away and back again.